**** DONE: GB-35 1/72 UH-1 B ‘Huey” - Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Michael, get yourself some decal setting solution and apply it to the red stripe over the grille. When it's seated down properly and fully dry, get a pin and pierce the decal in the grille holes and apply deal solution again if necessary. Myself, I would have masked and spray painted the stripe but you are past that now.

It's looking good Michael.
I agree with Andy about the red stripe. As part of it is over the PE grill, it might be possible to cut the decal stripe, and carefully remove the part over the grill itself. Then, seal the entire area with a coat of clear varnish and allow to harden for at least 12 hours, before masking for the stripe section over the grill perforations, and paint the remainder of the stripe, thus allowing the grill pattern to show through.
However, if you think this is not possible, or perhaps difficult to achieve, then follow Andy's suggestion.

Very quick update, before I hit the road for Sydney. Ive nearly completed the decaling process, put the starboard side clearshield wiper on, touched up some of the unfinished painitng (like that rooftop fin thingy). I tidied up the side hatches. I think I will leave them in the open position, to improve view into the interior, but the fit into the hatchway is just not that great.

Ive fitted the engine turbine and the exhaust Looks pretty good to me, so the engine inspection hatches should be fixed in the open position IMO. I finished up taking off the decal on these hatches and spraying the red stripe on. It looks a lot better to me

Its getting pretty close to finishing, but I still have the rear bumper to fit, the nose antennae and some bits at the rear near the tail,

I still cant make up my mind about the tail boom antennae. I can still fit them if I want to, but I just cant make up my mind about whether they were there or not there in 1968

here are some photos of the decaling process and a shot also of the hatch covers

I'm disappointed with the discolouration that is affecting the "5" on the nose. I'm considering using one of the spare "5"s in the decals to put over the top of this digit.

The retouched hatch covers unfortunately are still not right either. When I removed the masking it revealed a degree of bleeding into the white paint. The stripes are also uneven and not straight. Some of the grills are blocked by paint as well. I will need to go back and try again I think

Decalling nose section.jpg

Decalling Port  side.jpg

Decalling starboard side.jpg

Declling tail section.jpg

Hatch covers re-touched.jpg

Easy fixes there I think. Not sure why the colour is bleeding on the decal but covering it with another should do it. Make sure that the decal solution you are using (if you are) isn't dissolving the paint. When masking always remember to burnish the edges of the tape with a toothpick or something similar.

Youve actually hit the nail on the head about the decal. I applied the solution, a little too thickly and this was the result. it just seems to bleed a bit. I was mostly referring to the red striping and how it sort of discoloured the white next to it.

so, I apologise firstly for not being more diligent with my diary, but I have more or less finished this build. I will post my finished thread tonite, but thought people might like to see my competition finished shots......

Final shots front.jpg

Final shots port forequarter.jpg

Final shots port beam.jpg

Final shots port rearquarter.jpg

Final shots rear.jpg

Final shots starboard rearquarter.jpg

Final shots starboard beam.jpg

Final shots starboard forequarter.jpg

Final shots extra 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back