**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf 109C - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hobbycraft Messerschmitt Bf109C
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: True Details resin wheels

After deciding to do a Bf109C or D I did a search for an interesting paint scheme and eventually decided to go with one of the kits options, a Bf109D based in Norway in May of 1940.

Me109-D1-144f.jpg
P1012505a.JPG

Here you are two shots of the kite. I know there is one or two images more but unfortunately I can't reach them at the moment.

Bf109D1-NJG2-(BlackN+9)-WrkN2079-&-(BlackN+4)-Norway1940-22af-s.jpg
Bf109D-1 Black N_9.jpg
Bf109D-1 Black N_9 Norway 1940.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for joining Glenn with your interesting and not often seen subject. I hope the kit decals will work out for you.
I am a bit worried about the decals, as I've had bad silvering issues with Hobbycraft decals in the past. I intend to apply them using Future to wet the models surface to in effect glue them on with Future. I've used this method when using decals with large clear film areas and so far it has always worked so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Washed the sprues this morning and sprayed RLM 02 on the interior parts. Nothing really worth a picture yet but I have started it!
:D

Thanks Wojtek, those pictures will be very helpful

My pleasure. Please note that the Bf 109D-1 had the late style exhaust pipes. Also here you are some info on the plane...

Bf 109D1 11.(N)/JG2 white (N+9) WNr 2079 Oslo-Fornebu, Norway 1940

Although the Bf-109D-1 was originally delivered in a factory finish of 70/71/65 with a low demarcation line which ran along the lower fuselage, this defensive scheme was later changed to one better suited to conceal the aircraft while in the air. The demarcation line between the upper and undersurface colors was therefore raised so that most of the fuselage sides were in 65, and the green 70 on the uppersurfaces was replaced by grey 02. These aircraft, some clearly showing spinners finished in 70 while others are 65, belonged to 11.(Nacht)/JG2 and were probably photographed at Oslo-Fornebu or Trondheirn-Vaernes in the late spring or early summer of 1940. In June 1940, when NJG1 was formed under Hptm. Wolfgang Falck, IV.(N)/JG2 was redesignated II./NJG1

Glenn. I was thinking more that the decals might disintegrate due to age. I thought I had some early 109 decals in my stash that I could send you but I was wrong.

welcome aboard Glenn. Good luck with the decals issues. I have great confidence you will solve the issues, if any arise.

Glenn , please check on the fitting of the cockpit canopy to the fuselage. It may be too narrow comparing to the fuselage size.

My pleasure. Please note that the Bf 109D-1 had the late style exhaust pipes. Also here you are some info on the plane...

Bf 109D1 11.(N)/JG2 white (N+9) WNr 2079 Oslo-Fornebu, Norway 1940

Although the Bf-109D-1 was originally delivered in a factory finish of 70/71/65 with a low demarcation line which ran along the lower fuselage, this defensive scheme was later changed to one better suited to conceal the aircraft while in the air. The demarcation line between the upper and undersurface colors was therefore raised so that most of the fuselage sides were in 65, and the green 70 on the uppersurfaces was replaced by grey 02. These aircraft, some clearly showing spinners finished in 70 while others are 65, belonged to 11.(Nacht)/JG2 and were probably photographed at Oslo-Fornebu or Trondheirn-Vaernes in the late spring or early summer of 1940. In June 1940, when NJG1 was formed under Hptm. Wolfgang Falck, IV.(N)/JG2 was redesignated II./NJG1
Great info Wojtek. I'll be sure to use it.

Glenn. I was thinking more that the decals might disintegrate due to age. I thought I had some early 109 decals in my stash that I could send you but I was wrong.
Haven't had that problem with older Hobbycraft decals yet, it been more a problem of the glue not being sufficient to prevent silvering, but I'll be sure to do a test with an extra decal before I commit myself.

Glenn , please check on the fitting of the cockpit canopy to the fuselage. It may be too narrow comparing to the fuselage size.
Thanks for the heads-up. If its a problem maybe I can shave the fuselage halves a bit making it thinner to fit the canopy, or try a Tamiya canopy for size. I think I still have one left over from the BoB build when I put a later style vac canopy on the E1 I built.

I had intended to do this one out of the box but that went out the window after looking at what I needed to do to the exhaust stacks.

The exhausts on the 109CorB as depicted in the kit (more or less)
Bf-109B-1_5.jpg

The exhausts on the 109D that I needed
Bf-109B.jpg

These are the kit parts with rectangular shapes ports
P1012510.JPG

I started by cutting exhaust stacks from thin aluminum tubing. the wall thickness was way too thick so I drilled them out for a better scale look
P1012511.JPG

Next I drilled out the ports in the kit parts and angled the drill but at 45 degrees
P1012512.JPG

After drilling and cleanup
P1012513.JPG

The exhaust stubs were glued in using CA glue
P1012514.JPG

The finished thing installed one of the fuselage halves
P1012515.JPG

P1012516.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back