**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 BF109G-14 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You should see the cutters!

Thanks gents. Just got a flat coat on late last night, then the wheels and prop attached. Flat coat was applied after a subtle panel wash. I don't like "loud" panel lines so generally kept it subdued.

17112601.jpg

The tail wheel was masked for the whitewall and painted. Tough to do at this scale and still imperfect. I will do a little more touch up then apply some muddy wash.

17112602.jpg

The underside also got a panel wash but it's not easily seen in the pic. Lots of dirt and oil streaking yet to be done.

17112603.jpg

A closer shot of the starboard wing. I like the way the 74 turned out having redone it a while back. There is still some variation in the colour but again it's more pronounced in real life.

17112604.jpg

The final thing done today was to attach the prop. I still have to highlight the cannon stub.

17112605.jpg

Chipping and stains to come as well as the drop tank and fiddly bits. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks everyone. Very kind.

Solid work Andy. Are you going to add the nose gun barrels at the end?

Ask and ye shall receive! The gun barrels were left till now so that the various coatings didn't gum them up. It was a simple matter of brush painting them a steel colour and sliding them into the stops with a dab of CA after drilling out the flash cones. While I had the steel colour out, I touched up the nose cannon stub. Also note that the small intakes near the nose have received a dab of black to represent the hollows.

17112705.jpg

I think the tail wheel is as good as it's gonna get after some tricky touch-up and a black and brown wash.

17112701.jpg

The fiddly bits are started. The aileron mass balances have been glued on and painted and the sloped FuG 16zy antenna was painted and installed.

17112702.jpg

The same antenna taken from above:

17112706.jpg

Started to mess up the undersides with some oil slicks. One thing that's bugging my sense of orderliness is the fact that the wheel bulges are not represented in the wheel wells. I could have hollowed them out with a Dremel but elected not to, despite the mild shudders I get when looking at it. Not sure I like the drop tank supports either. Shudders again....

17112703.jpg

The IFF spike antenna was added and painted steel.

17112704.jpg

Still need to finish the drop tank and get on with the exhaust stacks. I have a choice of using the kit parts or using a resin exhaust set that I got some time ago but never used. I think I'll use that. Still some chipping to do and some more weathering so almost there.

Thanks gents.

Attention today was on the drop tank and exhausts. I missed taking pics of a few steps on the tank to show you but I essentially painted the tank 76, glossed it, chipped it with a blade and drilled out the support band where it parts from the tank proper and continues to the winch. This kit came with the later metal tank which is more rarely seen on 109's. Despite having plenty of spares for the more common type, I decided to use this one anyway and leave the spares for other projects. Two pipes were also drilled in as you can see in the below pic.

17112801.jpg

Here you can see the drilled out band which I had to leave thick as it is a structural support for the tank. I also added a PE filler cap and, though it's still inaccurate, looks better that the shallow blob that was provided on the part.

17112802.jpg

Remember when I said I didn't like the struts on the rack? Well, I hacked them down a bit and added the much thinner and more realistic looking bits of stretched sprue after I had hung the tank and glued it in place. No more shudders.

17112803.jpg
17112804.jpg

Again, no pics of the steps taken to complete the exhaust stub installation but here are two pics of the finished assemblies. I ended up suing the resin set which have the ends hollowed out. For the bent shroud on the port side (first pic below) I used the kit part but thinned it significantly with my square jewellers file. I considered using some brass sheet but didn't have a good way to cut the curved notch and bend it.

17112805.jpg

On the other side, you can see the stubs better of course and here I replaced the kit shield with a new one cut from plastic card. The stubs ended up a bit too sticky-outy in the back, something I didn't notice until I installed the shield but it's not that bad when not staring at it at a macro level.

17112806.jpg

As you can see, I began the chipping process as well and for this I simply used a silver pencil at the points that saw the most wear. Left to do is the exhaust staining, some mud splatter, the D/F loop, pitot tube, and antenna wire so this one should be wrapped up soon.

Thanks again for stopping by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back