**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I've put an old toilet chain around the rear tyres, and fitted some short skis to the front wheels (OK, they're really bits of bent plywood I had hanging around), and I've cleaned my glasses.
As long as the 'snow' (a light dusting of powder) doesn't get more than 3 inches deep I'll be fine - ground clearance is only 2.5 inches !

Got quite a bit of the rear cockpit assembly done, and brush-painted the new mix of RLM 02, but still a long way to go yet.
I should have some pics some time tomorrow afternoon.

A little later than intended, as I bashed straight through in an 8 hour session at the bench, but here are a couple of pics of some of the progress on the interior fittings.
Doesn't look much (although there's actually more done which hasn't been photographed yet), but a lot of time was spent cleaning up every single small part, as the sprue attachments were quite heavy, and some seams needed to be shaved off. One of the triangular support brackets for the gunner's seat simply disappeared as it was removed from the sprue - no 'ping', it just wasn't there !
So a new one was made from plastic card. The rear face of one of the cannon ammo drums did the same thing, and is lost somewhere in the deep and dark void beneath the bench, where spiders and other creatures lurk !
The six parts for the radio were fitted to the bulkhead and painted once in position. I'm not sure that this is the correct set-up, as a cockpit photo from Volk's archive shows the earlier (FuG 10 ?) radio, but this might have been in the 'C' model that Kettling and Volk flew in the spring of 1940.
The main instrument panel is almost finished. The 'scratch off' method wasn't very successful, and, as I anticipated, the individually cut decals didn't want to settle down properly over the raised detail, so the dials and switched have been hand painted. Not brilliant, but passable enough once enclosed in the cockpit (pic to follow).
The cockpit area has been brush-painted in RLM 02, mixed using Humbrol No.31 Slate Grey enamel and No.64 Light Grey, with details picked out in various colours.
Note that the seat belts, made from paper, have only just been painted in the pic below, and await the addition of some detail.
Just about to get back to the bench, and I might have some more pics later.

Bf110 Dackle build 028.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 034.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
The bulk of the interior is now done, with just the fuselage side walls, rear instruments and the rear decking to complete, before fitting the cockpit sections and joining the fuselage.
I didn't bother fitting all of the spare cannon ammo drums, or all of the saddle magazines for the rear MG15, using just enough to be seen, and I want to use some of the drums on the Fujimi kit when I get around to that one.
The saddle magazines are separate items, six per side, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the quality - thick sprue attachments, and prominent seems on each one, the latter virtually impossible to remove completely, and a lot of time spent trying to, and then fitting each mag to the support rails. That said, they'll be mainly hidden beneath the rear gun deck, so no big deal.
I have some 'Qucikboost' resin magazines for use with the Fujimi kit, which are thankfully one-piece moudlings, and well detailed, without the seams seen on the Eduard examples.

PIC 1. The first stage of assembling the rear cockpit, with the radios, cannons and drums, and the gunner's two seats in place. The front cockpit has been assembled and painted, but has yet to have the instrument panel fitted at this stage.
PIC 2. Starboard side wall, rear bulkhead and magazine racks fitted.
PIC 3.Front cockpit with the instrument panel fitted. It looks better to the naked eye than in the harsh close-up. I intended to remove the lower armament switch panel, as this would not be present on the version being modelled, but unfortunately, the only way of attaching the panel safely, and without damaging the detail, was by use of the locating tab on the base of the panel, which fits into a slot in the floor. Fit was not good, and I had to enlarge the slot and lightly file the tab to achieve a flush fit, which is essential, as the REVI sight fits between the top of the panel and the cockpit coaming.
PICS 4 and 5. The front and rear cockpits joined, and the port inner side wall fitted.

I'm hoping to get more done this evening and, given I don't have to spend too much time and effort cleaning up parts, and removing attachment tabs and moulding seams, I should get the cockpits installed, and the fuselage closed up.
hanks again for looking, and I'll be back soon -ish.

Bf110 Dackle build 045.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 051.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 057.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 071.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 070.JPG

Thanks very much Andy. I think I might have made a better job of it, had I not tried the 'scratch method' first, as this gave a slightly rough texture to each instrument face after re-painting them black, which in turn caused some 'wandering' of the brush when applying the colours. The gyro heading indicator was the tricky one - trying to paint that aeroplane shape in the center !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back