**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Fiat CR 42 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The report and colours you quoted in the #37 seem to be about the another Cr.42 coded 16-85 ( MM6976). The info form here ...
A Re-Evaluation of Regia Aeronautica Camouflage 1940 by Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman

"...
According to Waldis and De Bortoli, this aircraft belonged to Sargente Pietro Slavadori, who, on 11 November 1940 became disoriented in fog, ran out of fuel and landed at Orfordness. Could poor Sargente Salavadori have crashed twice on the same day, for different reasons, in two differently camouflaged aircraft with identical markings? I strongly doubt it. It is also extremly unlikely that Sargente Salvadori had differently camouflaged aircraft with the same serial number on 29 October and 11 November.

At this point, who or what was I to believe. I contacted one of the authors of the Jagdwaffe volume. He has in his possession copies of the RAF's Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports. Serendipity comes into play yet again. He had a copy of document A.I.1.(g), Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report Serial No. 25, dated 14 November 1940, No. 3/154.

This report is about a CR 42, serial number MM5701, coded 13-95 - the aircraft of Sargete Pietro Salvadori. The aircraft, as described in the report, was said to have greenish-yellow blotches. The underside was said to be silver. The face of the prop blade was pale blue and black on the back. The Gruppo badge on the fuselage was described as having a blue background. A separate interrogation report regarding Sargente Salvatori reveals that his oil line did break, causing him to land. ..."

Last edited:
Could it be possible that aircraft used by RA over England had variations to the standard camo applied by the RA later on in the med?

I know that the RA had a three tone scheme 1938-39, but there were changes made to the official scheme1940-41. I learnt this in passing when building my 1/72 Hungarian Heja.

I found that while surfing through the net ...

Cr42 13-95.jpg

I read the article you posted Wotjek. Very useful and compelling information , and leaves me in a lot of doubt as to the final colour scheme for the aircraft used by the Italian expeditionary corps

I tend to agree with the RAF intel reports on the two captured Cr42s, which describe the camo scheme for both aircraft as a two tone olive/sand scheme.

However I have read in other sources that the 1938 regs for the RA did stipulate a three tone scheme, so it is entirely possible that a three tone scheme was still in existence in 1940 for some aircraft. what is doubtful is that all aircraft retained that three tone scheme. by 1942, the three tone scheme had all but disappeared from the RA 9though the Hungarians maintained a three tone scheme that was very similar on the EF).

I now believe the aircraft in question should be painted as a two tone camouflage scheme but it would be wrong to assume that all airacraft would a two tone scheme at this point. some would, others would not.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back