**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's possible. It's an easy fix to cut the castor shaft, shorten it and reattach it with reinforcing wire. I can then swivel it as well.

Thanks Wayne. The bubbles in the decal worked themselves out over night. I like when that happens.

Need to see what I have for stencils now as the kit decals look shite.

Hey, that second masked cross looks better than the first. Is the machine cutting any better now? The Hase 1/32 Dora kits have the same tail wheel position. I cut mine down on Black 1.

Thanks guys.

John, the upper wing crosses have thicker black outer edges so behave better though I think they just barely pass muster.

I found all the stencils I need and started applying some. Should get some pics up tomorrow.

Stencils almost done but not quite. I had a complete set left over from my Eduard D-9 and here are the wings walks:

18012403.jpg

The various stencils around the tail are done. They are a bit heavy but passable. This is one of those common instances where an unknown W. Nr. leads the decal manufacturer to omit it completely though I think the number should was almost always displayed.
I might make one up for Philipp's rig based on a best guess unless someone here knows what it is. If so, please share!

18012404.jpg

It was during the stencil application that I realize that I forgot to fill in this hatch for the MW50 tank filler which did not appear until the A-8. I think it's still doable. Fixing it will get rid of the finger print too.

18012405.jpg

Likewise, I discovered rather late that these bulges should probably not appear on my A-5. Let me know if you know for sure but I think these appeared with the switch over to the MG151 cannon for the A-6. Again, these can be easily filed off and the area touched up.

Note the completed painted cross. I think it turned out rather well, though it was a lot of work.

18012406.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys and if you have input to my questions, please don't hesitate!

Looking good Andy! It's not a Dora so I can't help you with the WN or the bulge. The fixed crosses do look much better.

Thanks all. Did a bit of shopping at the Eduard store and decided to pick up a set of the early wheels. Looking at the detail on these nice Brassin wheels, there was no way that I could replicate this by modifying the late style with the flat hubs.

648152_2.png

The wheels are now in transit to my lair but in the meantime I tackled the erroneous issues that I should have caught earlier. First off, the MW50 filler cap was eliminated by, first, carefully applying some CA glue into the recesses.

18012503.jpg

The area was then carefully filed and sanded, taking care not to damage the cross decal.

18012504.jpg

Then, the decal was masked with Tamiya tape that had the tackiness reduced and a localized spray of 74 applied to the area. I took this opportunity to add some more mottling as the profile I'm using seemed to have more dark areas.

18012506.jpg

Next up were the cannon fairings pointed out above. These were simply filed down, smoothed and the marred surface was then repainted.

18012505.jpg
18012507.jpg

These areas were then hit with clear gloss and I also sealed the decals with the same coat, though I still need to add a few more stencils.

Thanks for following along.

Thanks guys. With the stencils now done, I gave the model a wash to accent the panel lines:

18012603.jpg

Once the wash dried, I wiped away the excess and touched up a few areas until I was satisfied. The model was then given a matte coat.

18012601.jpg
18012602.jpg

When doing exhaust stains, I like to start with a very thin mixture of a dark earth brown. The colour is sprayed densely close to the exhaust outlets and the spray is then gradually fanned out and away as I shoot further from the exhausts.

18012606.jpg

The process is then repeated with a very thin mixture of black and this time them pattern is sprayed closer to the center, leaving the brown edges to show. With this final spraying done, the canopy masks were removed.

18012607.jpg

The next step is to apply some chipping and localized staining and scratches. Thanks again for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back