**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember years ago a company released a navigation light making template that looked like a photo etch sheet with small holes shaped like various lights cut out. You did as Andy did with the candle, pressed it into selected hole, cut from the clear sprue, final shaping and glue. You think I can find it now.....nope

Link worked for me. I have a few Eduard photoetch frets that have those small openings. Never knew what they were for until I saw something similar to that tutorial.

Just now:

Capture.JPG

I know I've been out of circulation for some time Andy, but how gratifying it is to come back and see such clever modelling and to learn something new, I also never released what those frets were on the edge of the PE plates.

Thanks very much Vic. A pleasure to have you take a gander at what I've been up to.

The model is in a holding pattern right now pending receipt of the Brassin wheels from Eduard. Once received, I expect this week, it will be one session at the bench to tidy this build up and chuck it on the shelf.

The Brassin resin wheels finally arrived this week so I was able to work on my punch list of fiddly bits. The first thing was to get the wheels prepped, painted, and installed. The wheels are beautifully cast and may yet turn out to be the nicest part of this model!

18021601.jpg

Eduard was nice enough to provide masks to allow painting of the tires first and the hubs last. The tires were shot with Tamiya Tire Black and the hubs were then done with gloss black.

18021602.jpg

The running surfaces were sprayed a light grey and the wheels were then given a wash of a muddy colour. The finishing touch was to paint on the red indicator tapes.

18021603.jpg

The finished tires were flattened with a file and glued to the model. Sorry for the stark lighting.

18021604.jpg

With the wheels no on, I proceeded to add the tiny bits that would have been lost in handling the model. Below can be seen the red gear-down indicator bar and the cable that retracts the tail wheel which has been attached to the landing gear retraction arm.

18021605.jpg

The antenna was added. For this I used nylon invisible mending thread. The spring on the antenna post was simulated by attaching a short length of stretched sprue. The intermediate wire is stretched sprue which is easier to cut and attach. After all this was set. I ran a dab of Alclad Steel along all the cables.

18021606.jpg

The last thing I need to check is whether or not I need to add a gun camera fairing on the leading edge (methinks yes but I need to verify) and then do a last once over of the model before declaring victory. Should be done with this one in the next couple of days ad I;ll post up the last few steps soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back