**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know it can be discouraging to fix errors that have been pointed out by others. It happens all of the time on my builds! Think of it as a fun challenge and also an opportunity to learn a new technique or two. Your Raiden is almost at the finish line and is looking good!

Abit of an update. I spent three days trying to make the painting option work, but gave up in the finish. There were problems that I had not anticipated....colours were not sufficiently vibrant, constant bleed issues past the masking, with sealing seemingly ineffective at this size.

So ive given the substitute decal option a go instead. Havent finished yet but so far is going pretty well.

Also put some finishing touches to my modified drop tank and the finishing clear coat to the prop.

Drop tank 2.jpg

Drop tank 1.jpg

added what I think are filler cap, and at the rear the outlet fuel lines. The photo images were not clear for any of this detail and my efforts were very much "best guess really"

(Edit: Forgot to post the image of the lacquered prop)

Prop.jpg

undercarriage colour flashes.jpg

undercarriage colour flashes 2.jpg

These are the colour flash components with widths cut to size. in the second shot you can see the band widths are a bit barrow and the same width, whereas in the proper flashes the width of the three colours varied. this was the nearest fit I could make with the materials I had available

Undercarrieage 1.jpg

The "base" component attached to the undercarriage fairing. I fashioned a rough holding jig to reduce the unwanted movement of the part as I worked on it and made said jig out of soft balsa to reduce the risk of casual damage.

Undercarriage 3.jpg

My resprayed fairing ready for attachment of the "base" flash.

Last edited:
made some further progress, varnishing the "base" flash and then applying the second element of the decal, in this case the yellow strip. Everything has worked pretty well so far, but I'm waiting one day for the decals to set and for the clear hardcost surface that I apply to each element to dry.

I'm on holiday for five days at this point, but I'm hoping to to get the whole thing finished soon thereafter.

Its been a while since I posted properly for this build, but it is far from forgotten.

I have now completed the repair of the retrac flashes and applied final weathering effects 9yes I have decided to wether the thing a bit). I thought I was set to post my "Done" thread, but Ive discovered a small problem that will need to be fixed . The problem will show in the following photo....

Final- bow.jpg

Ive done two things wrong. firstly there are some extensions that are still sitting on the sprue......I need to attach them

but the oleos are still not sitting correctly...they are sticking out too far. I can use debonder to remove the oleos and work out the problem, but with all the do dads now attached, there is a risk of damage. Need to be very careful at this point.

in other respects, its virtually finished. ive applied some subtle weathering the pitot tube and the guns. I decided to fabricate the short gun stubs for the outer nacelles...

The following pictures are the finals shots that I'm not now going to post until I get the retrac issue sorted.

Damn....

Final - additional.jpg

Final - port aft quarter.jpg

Final - port beam.jpg

Final - port fore quarter.jpg

Final- aft.jpg

Final - starboard aft quarter.jpg

Final - starboard beam.jpg

Final - starboard fore quarter.jpg

i'll go and get it done then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back