**** DONE: GB-36 1/72 BF 109E-4 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ummm..... Are you sure you put the correct decals on the wing tops? They look like the wing underside decals - the upper wing crosses typically have a narrower white field.

Oh damn too late now. The Kit instructions do show as you say. Unless someone has four spare balkenkreuz.s it has to stay that way. What an absolute T*rd sandwich.....

I found some similar decals in 1/72 from a company called "Lifelike". It would be at least 20 Feb before they arrived, They would cost more than I paid for the model in the first place. and, as you say I would probably have to repaint a lot of what ive done. on the other hand, I will forever have a model in my display case that has an idiotic error that I am responsible for, staring me in the face.......

One option would be just to buy another airfix kit and raid the decal sheet. That's actually cheaper than buying a separate decal sheet. and quicker.in terms of delivery.

What a pain in the backside.........

Lifelike Decals 1/72 MESSERSCHMIT Me-109 Fighter Part 5 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah, b*gger !!
If it was 1/48th scale, I could have sent you some crosses.
You could get them direct from Airfix, via their free parts service, but that could take anywhere between two to eight weeks.
With luck, someone on the forum might be able to help - might be an idea to post a request, separate from this thread.

well ive sent a request to the airfix help service. Nothing to lose I guess.

The measurements for the decal are 12.5mm

I'm inclined to finish it as is and see what airfix do . If they come back with a replacement decal sheet I suppose I can fix it after the GB. Talked to the supreme being and she was adamant, no more money wasted on this kit. I get what shes saying. the kit cost something like $15 and to get the part will cost more than twice that. Airfix might come good and cost something reasonable. I'm hoping.

Sounds like a plan Michael.
Of course, you will now also need the underside crosses, but when (not 'if' ) Airfix send the decals, it should be a complete decal sheet.
Ever since Airfix started producing model kits, in 1952, they have always offered a free replacement parts service, which can now be done on-line, stating the kit, kit number, scale, part number and problem - the latter being a damaged decal sheet, of course - cough !
They used to enclose a request slip in all of their kits for many years, but I haven't noticed them in recent years, which was intended for the ordering of missing or broken parts.
In the case of decals, it's virtually certain that a complete sheet will be sent, as I doubt that someone is going to take the time to locate a sheet,cut the required items from it, and then post it.
Even since Airfix was taken on by Hornby Hobbies, I've never had a problem obtaining replacement parts, even for out of production kits (the latter if they still hold stocks), and despite the expected lead time they display on their web-site, parts have arrived within a couple of weeks at the most, in the majority of cases. Of course, being in 'Oz' it will probably take a little longer, but shouldn't be more than 8 weeks I would think, very possibly less, as it will be sent as an ordinary 'letter', rather than a package, being just a small decal sheet.

Michael.. have you sealed the crosses with the clear coat yet? If you haven't you may try to soak them off. Take a bowl with some of warm water and put a wing into the water for some of time. Let the cross glue soak with the water and unstick . The marking should drop away itself. The floating cross you may try to catch with a piece of decal paper using the side covered with the glue and a brush if needed. The Airfix decals are quite thick and shouldn't crack off during the process. In the way you may recover both crosses and use them on undersides. All you have to take care of is to catch the crosses with their proper side. I mean the marking side that is stuck to the paper background is always more matt and looks greyish than the top one.

OK. So no problem IMHO. the attempt may be worth to try. There is nothing to lose . Anyway, you have to remove the incorrect markings in order to stick the new ones. So there is a chance you may save some of money as well.

Not a question of money really, Finishing at all, and then finishing on time are what I'm upset about.

Halfway there already. if this works, I think I will set up a small shrine in my house in your honour professor. ....

Decal 3.jpg

Decal 4.jpg

needs repositioning slightly to the left from where it is, but I'm amazed there is no visible damage

other half is done. no incidents. I would never have believed that possible. You sir are a genius, not in jest, an absolute fair-di nkum genius. thanks everyone for your patience.

I will seal up those four decals as soon as they are dry. And take some further photos as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back