**** DONE: GB-38 1/48 Lockheed P-38J Lightning - Axis A/C (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok so starting the new kit, i.e.: the F-5E minicraft. Not a whole lot of cockpit detail but again not much will be visible in the end.
Everything painted, right side side wall, seat, stick & wheel in place. Radio gear, left side wall, dash, and back armor plate ready to install
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG

Chugging right along inside as the outside temp is 98F (36.7C) with a heat index of 110F (43C). It taint a fit day out fur man ner beast
Cockpit together and installed in the lower wing section. Upper wing cockpit interior painted and ready to install over the lower.
IMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG

If you are using the Revell re-issue of the Monogram kit, there should be photo-recon parts on the sprue. My monogram kit which is still on the build list has the F5B option. Also, I've never seen it molded in white plastic before.

Larry, go back and check my earlier posts...I done switched horsies in the streams middle. The Revell kit allowed the making of Bong's P-38J or the Pathfinder version or the nightfighter. Nada on the photorecon so I switched to the Minicraft kit. Weirdly enough while the box states that it is an F-5E the directions actually build a plain "J" version. Now there are parts to make the photorecon F-5E but no directions just an extra sheet with blocked out parts saying "not used"

Mike, The older Monogram kit has the instructions for use of the recon parts and has a decal for a bird named Mary. I'm surprised that Revell omitted that in their instructions, but then Revell left out a lot with their re-issues. When they reissued the AT-6, they left many of the stencils out. I have to say that Hobbico failed us in many ways. From what I've heard Minicraft is a nice kit.

Revell left out a lot with their re-issues.
Apparently so as there is nothing resembling a F-5E nose and Revell's "J" is Bong's aircraft and his wife's name was Marge. My intent when I bought this kit was for an earlier GB and I was going to make the two-seater version.

Minicraft is a nice kit.
Parts have a lot of flash to trim off especially the small parts, tree join points are large and require care not to break off part of the part when separating. The Directions are also poor and often don't show where a piece actually goes, just a general direction arrow. Parts also have numbers molded in that don't match the numbers in the directions. Attachment points and locator notches shown in the directions are also, at times missing on the actual parts. Details are also sparse, the instrument panel. e.g. is a blank piece of plastic, nothing molded in nor is there a decal.
A very basic, no frills kit by and large.

Apparently so as there is nothing resembling a F-5E nose and Revell's "J" is Bong's aircraft and his wife's name was Marge. My intent when I bought this kit was for an earlier GB and I was going to make the two-seater version.

Parts have a lot of flash to trim off especially the small parts, tree join points are large and require care not to break off part of the part when separating. The Directions are also poor and often don't show where a piece actually goes, just a general direction arrow. Parts also have numbers molded in that don't match the numbers in the directions. Attachment points and locator notches shown in the directions are also, at times missing on the actual parts. Details are also sparse, the instrument panel. e.g. is a blank piece of plastic, nothing molded in nor is there a decal.
A very basic, no frills kit by and large.
Actually, I've never seen the inside of the Minicraft box. All I had to go on is what others have said about it. I have four Revell/ Monogram kits and one Promodeler P-38 F/G/H kit here. You're still making good progress with the model.

Thanks, Terry and Geo, was not going to get another kit but by happenstance ran across this one in a clearance bin for $17 USD. Figured the modeling gods were telling me something

Progress. Heat index in the outside world is 105F(40.8C) so working inside. Twin booms together and in place. Landing gear in place and doors in place. Rear tail assembly in place and trying to straighten out the right boom which is twisted. The front photo recon nose temporarily in place. This is a heavy tail-sitter and its going to take lots of weight in the nose to bring it down. The 4 photo windows will be put in after painting as they are too small to mask
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2327.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back