**** DONE: GB-39 1/48 Bf109E-3 Helmut Wick - Battle for France to Battle of Britain (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
GB-39 1/48 Bf109E-3 Helmut Wick - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Username : Wayne Little

First name : Wayne

Category : Judge – Non competing

Scale : 1/48

Manufacturer / Model : Tamiya Bf109E-3

Extras : Eduard Cockpit Set and canopy Masks.

My Alternate build for GB39 will be a little known Bf109E-3 flown by Helmut Wick before he went on to become one of the Battle of Britain's top aces with 56 victories before his death in November 1940.

This Bf109E-3, 'Yellow 2' was flown by Leutnant Wick as a member of 3/JG 2 during the early months of 1940 and on into the battle of France, it is depicted sometime between the 9th and 13th June, when it shows 12 Victories on the tail.
Lt. Wick claimed his 12th Victory on the 9th June followed by his 13th on the 13th June 1940.
The aircraft was written off between these dates when during a parking mishap it accidentally rolled down a slope and was heavily damaged.

The aircraft carries the standard 71/02/65 camouflage of the period with the Hakenkreuz still located on the rudder/tail hinge line.

It carries the mottled fuselage sides unique to JG 2 at the time and To my knowledge this little known aircraft has not been modelled by anyone before? At least I have never seen it done.

A couple of images of this lesser known aircraft of Helmut Wick.

The second and third images showing the damaged aircraft after its "accident"

Sources / References
1. Helmut Wick An illustrated Biography of the Luftwaffe Ace by Herbert Ringlstetter
2. In the Skies of France A chronicle of JG 2 "Richthofen" vol.1 1934-1940
By Erik Mombeeck and Jean-Louis Roba with Chris Goss
Wick_Yellow 2_First One_0205.jpg
Wick_Yellow 2_First One_0209.jpg
Wick_Yellow 2_First One_0211a.jpg

Cheers guys...!

This aircraft is certainly not well known as after the accident Wick was assigned his new Yellow 2 W.Nr.5344 which he then flew until his death in November and was much photographed during his career.

Ok, opening the box on this, there was actually 2 kits I had started to prep when I shelved it....so if time works for me will do both together and see where the second one leads....
1_Fuselage Prep_0961.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back