**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 CR. 42 Falco - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Michael. Nothing you said should have offended any Belgian readers. If anything, my calling the scheme "boring" would be more of a swipe, though I think that if someone is offended by my description of this 78 year old airplane then they are in the wrong place!

Did a little more work on the Falco today and I'll post an update a bit later.

Update as promised. There are some treads on the wheel spats moulded into the kit part but one side has them somewhat deformed. I decided to file these off both sides and replace them with stretched sprue. Below you can see both the kit detail and the one I replaced.

18100901.jpg

Looking at detail photos of the Falco reveals that there are strips at the wing attachment points that were not replicated on the model so I decided to add these using strips cut from 0.1mm sytrene sheet. These have the added benefit of hiding any misalignment that was there, though it was fine anyway.

18100902.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks all.

Wanted to stick the landing gear on but first I need to attach the long carb intake fairing on the bottom to which the gear attaches. But to do that, I need to attach the engine and cowl. But to do that, I need to paint the inside of the cowl.....

Starting to research the colours for my Falco. According to the Stormo website, the underside colour could be either Aluminum or Grigio Mimetico for which they give an FS equivalent of 36231. This is a very dark colour and doesn't seem to match any profiles I have. Was the underside colour really that dark?

Agree that it's very dark. This is from the book "Courage Alone-The Italian Air Force 1940-1943"

upload_2018-10-12_22-18-57.png

You've probably already checked IPMS Stockholm. There are two Grigio Mimetico's, 1 and 2. I can't find the 3 in the chart above, it may be lighter still

upload_2018-10-12_22-23-57.png

Paint4models.com says the lower colour can be matched to Tamiya XF-19(Sky Grey) or XF-25(Light Sea Grey). I think I used 19 on my C.205

Starting to research the colours for my Falco. According to the Stormo website, the underside colour could be either Aluminum or Grigio Mimetico for which they give an FS equivalent of 36231. This is a very dark colour and doesn't seem to match any profiles I have. Was the underside colour really that dark?

My reference says that the Grigio Mimetico should be FS36293.

Thanks guys. Geo that clip mirrors exactly what the Stormo website has and is the only written identification of the colour hatvi have seen. The accompanying colour chart has that grey looking even darker than FS36231. Profiles in other books identify the underside as Grigio Mimetico but show it as much lighter.

My bookmarked link to Paint4models takes me to a page from which the database doesn't launch anymore. I only have the PDF file which is not sortable.

Wojtek thanks. What reference is giving you that FS number? I know Urban' s colour chart at IPMS Stockholm has different ones but I'm unable to check if that's the one you quoted. They also have 36321 in brackets as an alternate.

Andy, it's the "Colori e Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943" book. Also the list of colours for the Regia Aeronautica published by Super Model magazine

Here you are the two colours compared.

fs36231_fs36239.jpg

I'm having difficulties with that site as well. By clicking one of these four icons and then hitting refresh I can get the site to run but it seems to be different each day. Pain in the keester but it works

upload_2018-10-13_9-12-49.png

Don't know if these will help Andy - the guys at DX are normally very accurate with their colour reproduction.
The fuselage underside seems to be silver (see area around tail wheel), whilst the undersides of the wings is a light grey.

Andy FIAT 2..jpg
Andy FIAT 3..jpg
Andy FIAT 4..jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back