**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 CR. 42 Falco - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep thanks guys. I read those articles when going through Steph' s build and that's why I questioned the 3 colour scheme. Will look deeper on the Stormo sites for something more definitive on the Belgian rigs.

Having looked closely through several references, I've concluded that the camo scheme for most if not all of the Belgian rigs that have been photographed appears to be the C1 type camo below (excerpt from the Stormo site). This confirms the box art camo scheme in post 1.

Mottle Schemes from STORMO.JPG

Further, according to that site, the version of the colours used on CR 42s would have been Giallo Mimetico 3, Verde Mimetico 3, and Marrone Mimetico 2.

Recording here for posterity as I'm not keeping separate notes. If anyone disagrees please pipe up!

Sounds good Andy. I also thought the base colour should be the darker one. I mean the Giallo Mimetico 3 or even the Giallo Mimetico 4.

Don't know if this will help Andy.
Not the full 'multi-colour' scheme, and I don't know which paint shades, but might give an idea for the base colour.

Andy Fiat.jpg

Thanks Terry. Took many pics of this beast when I visited Hendon and am not sure that the colours are correctly depicted. The GM 3 is a much more yellowy sand colour and I hope to replicate that when I look into Tamiya mixes later.

Interesting that they displayed here at Dux. Did the engines turn at all or was it just static?

It's not the RAF Museum example Andy - it's the one that has been under restoration (to flying condition) at DX for some years. The shade of the base colour is lighter than the RAFM aircraft, and more 'yellow'.

Ah thanks Terry. That clears things up. The colour on the Hendon subject looked too muddy to me and I wasn't aware, or more likely forgot, that there was another one at Dux.

I might get a start on this build over the next week before I head out to Vancouver Island after next weekend. Unless the Eduard detail set shows up before then, I will start with the engine and see what those short pushrods are all about.

Got cracking on this kit with the assembly of the engine cylinders and gearbox. As mentioned by several reviewers, their push rods were too short and they didn't reach all the way to the rocker covers which was indeed the case with mine. In addition, though Italeri decided to provide some semblance of hollowed-out exhausts, they still appeared to be way too thick and in need of a more convincing look.

18082701.jpg

I clipped all the pushrods off and replaced them with lengths of .020" diameter plastic rod cut to the proper length. The exhausts were drilled out a bit deeper and the edges were made sharper by carefully twirling a scalpel in the hole. Much better on both counts I think.

18082702.jpg

As I await the cockpit detail set in the mail, I will continue to detail the engine with spark plug wires and miscellaneous tubing.

Thanks all. Work continues to complete the engine:

Using references and pictures I took at Hendon, I plumbed the engine using 0.2mm lead wire. Oil lines are routed form the pump on the bottom of the crank case, around the bolting flange and up every second pushrod to the rocker covers. I also added the spark plug leads with the same material. These were just sent somewhere to the back of each cylinder and out of sight.

18082901.jpg

The finished engine painted up and given a light wash. The data plate on the side was made using adhesive aluminum foil coloured black with a Sharpy and scratched with a pin. Italeri missed adding a decal for this prominent feature.

18082902.jpg
18082903.jpg

The exhaust ring was sprayed Alclad Steel followed by a very thin spray of Tamiya brown.

18082904.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back