**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 CR. 42 Falco - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Andy.
Let me know if you need any detail pics - got a (full colour) walk-around booklet with my Italeri kit. Subject is a restored example in Italy.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the offer Evan but I got a scan of that booklet from Geo.

Back from my kayak trip now and found my PE detail set in the mail when I got home. Should get some updates on this build up soon.

As is my wont, the kit-provided cockpit details are being upgraded or replaced for what I consider to be a more realistic representation of reality. Below is a picture of the floor and one of the sidewalls before taking a machete to things:

18082905.jpg

I decided to discard the sidewalls and build up my own framing using plastic rod as seen here. The wall of the fuselage now represents the outer skin and I embellished this area with strips of stretched sprue to resemble the details seen in photographic references.

18100201.jpg

The floor has had the framing in front of the seat replaced with delicate trusses made of wire and stretched sprue. On the seat, the rails on the sides of the saddle were sliced off and replaced with wire. The throttle console was cut off and moved outward. The instrument panel and rudder bar will remain essentially unchanged, except that the triangular gizmo at the pivot point is wrong and has been removed.

18100202.jpg

For the colours, I read up on several builds in this forum and decided to use straight Tamiya XF-21 Sky to represent the Verde Anticorrosione colour. I sprayed the shadow areas flat black first and then sprayed the XF-21. This was followed up with highlighting of the frames by brushing on the same XF-21 lightened with white.

18100203.jpg

On the right side, the Eduard console has been added and the instrument box from the kit sidewall was added as well after slicing it off the sidewall. I wish Eduard would fix their bluish shade on what is supposed to be a black finish. The difference is magnified with the camera and not worth the effort to brush black around all the details.

18100204.jpg

The tub has been painted and highlighted with the same mix of lightened XF-21 and holes cut in the floor as seen in reference pics.

18100205.jpg

The control column was then installed with an actuator rod at the rear and the electrical leads to the guns were added using lead wire.

18100207.jpg

Finally, the PE instrument panel and gun cocking handles were secured in place.

18100206.jpg

Thanks for checking in and hopefully I can get some momentum going on this build.

Thanks Hugh and Wayne.

Finalized tub with rudder pedal straps, actuating cables, and seat harness added:

18100401.jpg
18100402.jpg

Port sidewall with scratch built details added:

18100403.jpg

With all that done, the fuselage halves are now glued together. Fit is pretty good but I glued on some stretched sprue on a section of seam behind the cockpit that didn't quite line up cleanly. This will be sanded down and smoothed over.

18100404.jpg

The head armour plate was glued on and will receive the seat belt attachment plate after painting. I had dropped this piece inside the fuselage but fortunately was able to shake it out before securing it.

18100405.jpg

The MG fairings were opened up a bit with a round file. The guns themselves will be added toward the end.

18100406.jpg

Next will be the addition of the two stub wings and tail planes. I will need to paint the camo on before adding the main wing as it will be hard to get access for painting after that. That will mean dry-fitting and cleaning up the struts so that the upper wing can be added with no surface work that will mar the paint. That's the theory anyway....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back