**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 Dewoitine D.520 - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I must say Geo that you've done very well at your first freehand attempt. Only good things can come from this experience. I agree wing roots are tricky and it's hard to both get in close and achieve the right angle. No real advice on this other than to keep the pressure low (5 to 10 if you can get away with it) and the paint thin. I think you could still up your thinner content a tad but I'm basing this on Tamiya paint experience.

Long long ago.....
an airbrush artist doing hot rods on shirts used a business card for hard edges by holding it against the material.
Soft edges he raised the card and let the paint give a Feathery edge, unsharpened it.
He moved the card along with the movement of the airbrush for both hard and soft edges.
Perhaps at the wing roots the card could be kinda folded round and use it for a raised mask for a more consistent line?
Or cut it the shape of the edge, fold round and hold it off the surface.?

Well shut me in a 4x4 cube and let me spray lacquers for a day, all the Wojtek color charting has me like Bill head spinning and popping off, Good work Wojtek and the painting is really coming along Geo! Bill you getting all this, it may come in handy later for you!

Thanks sirs. Forewarned Bill, the whites on the roundels are translucent as I just found out. Had I know that I would have removed the white portion of the fuselage stripes. If yours are placed on camo demarcation lines you may want to under-coat the area with white

Week has started, decals are complete. A few touch-ups required around the tail. Though the tail stripes were long enough to fold around the back, no decal solution I had would budge them and after two days of trying they ripped a bit.

I was surprised that I managed to get the fuselage stripes on and aligned top and bottom with little fuss. I've noticed a few areas that might be susceptible to silvering so once the decals are dry, I'll give them the once over. Painting the 'lil breaky-offy bits now and searching for info about the car which is still in debations over building or not.

Users who are viewing this thread