**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 Aichi M6A Seiran - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Username : destrozas
First name : sergio
Category : intermeadiate
Scale : 1/72
Manufacturer / Model : Tamiya nº 37 aichi M6a seiran
Extras : None

01.jpg

the little history

After beginning the I-400 program, the navy proposed to the chief engineer of Aichi, Toshio Ozaki, the design of a bomber that could operate exclusively from submarines. The challenge was difficult, because the device had to carry at least 500 kg of bombs, fly at 474 km / h and fit in a cylindrical hangar of 3'5 meters in diameter. It also stipulated that all three devices should be launched in 30 minutes. Ozaki completed the first prototype in October 1943 and began flight tests in November.

The second prototype was tested in February 1944. At the same time a training model was built for the Seiran but based on land, called M6A1-K Nanzan. The Navy was so satisfied with the results that it ordered the start of the series construction before testing the latest prototypes. However, production was hindered by air strikes by the B-29 that seriously affected the main Aichi factory. In March of 1945, when Japan was clearly losing the war, the navy restricted the submarine program.

The I-400 and I-401 were completed in January 1944, but the [[I-402] s was converted into an oil submarine and the rest of the ships of the class were never completed. The Seiran program was also restricted, since fewer aircraft were needed for the small underwater flotilla. Aichi finished 26 Seiran and 2 Nanzan.

Developing
Japanese Seaplane M-6A1
The first prototype of the M6A Seiran flew at the end of 1943 with an AE1P Atsuta 30 inverted line motor of 1400 hp. Seven prototypes were manufactured with Atsuta 31 engines of equivalent power and then 18 production aircraft. In July 1945 they must have equipped the submarine force and be used in an attack against the US base on Ulithi Atoll, but the war ended earlier. Before the entry of the United States. in World War II, Japan had already used submarine-based reconnaissance seaplanes.

Japanese strategists devised a plan to attack US territory and other strategic objectives that were thousands of miles from Japanese bases, and even a Yokosuka E14Y1 Glen reconnaissance seaplane launched from the I-25 submarine dropped four phosphorus firebombs over a forest of the coast of Oregon on September 9, 1942. A few months before the Japanese Navy had ordered the construction of a new class of submarines, the I-400.

The five ships of the class, the largest in the world until the appearance of the USS Lafayette in 1962, displaced 6,560 tons and could sail 60,000 km, transporting three Seiran in a watertight compartment. A second class of smaller submarines called AM was modified to transport two Seiran.

this is a video of the copy that was restored in 1997 for the smithsominan museum

Good choice Sergio with this seaplane. Interesting story. Photos very well taken.
Saludos :thumbup:

A couple of tidbits regarding the Seiran. The aircraft loaded on the I-400 were painted in faux US markings and were catapulted into the ocean before the sub was surrendered to the US Navy. Also, during restoration at the Smithsonian an intern provided much needed information from a Japanese model kit instruction sheet. I assume it had pictures of the aircraft that the NASM didn't have at the time. Neat stuff, I hope I remembered it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back