**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk XII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A blessing and a curse Glenn as I see all the stuff that's missing or wrong in the kit and have to reconcile with myself not to add or modify it!

That said, I am continuing with the philosophy of minimal change, right or wrong. The Hasegawa cockpit is actually a real beaut by itself so here are some shots of how it came together.

The only thing that I didn't like was the seat which, though it had all the necessary features, was moulded with very thick sidewalls. This seems to be a common issue with almost every Hurricane and Spitfire kit that I have build. Fortunately the solution is simple; just file down the sides until they are thin. Here you see the seat with the right sidewall starting to be thinned down. The left one remains untouched. The only other thing to do is to drill out the slot in the back rest.

19020607.jpg

From this point, things went really fast and I didn't stop to take pics. Hope you can forgive me! The IP decal was used and looks pretty convincing. I have yet to add the seatbelts and will end up stealing a set from my future Mosquito build.

19020601.jpg
19020602.jpg
19020603.jpg
19020604.jpg
19020605.jpg

The cockpit walls have been finished per the kit instructions and I've made no attempt to make modifications. There could be lots of tubing and wiring to add but I won't do that. Besides, I'm still not sure at this point whether 5389 was fitted with a modified RCAF R/T controller. Some cockpit pics I have show them and others don't and we aren't at the point yet where our cockpit is being fitted with these details on the actual aircraft.

19020606.jpg

That's it for today and perhaps for a short bit as I've committed to getting more done on my Wellington so that I can get the fuselage put together. Thanks again for tuning in.

Thanks my friend.

BTW, I failed to mention that I obviously glued the MkII nose panels to the fuselage halve. The fit is exceptional and I'll show this in the next installment

Thanks guys. There are many things about the Hurricane that people tend to forget.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be working on my Wellington but this one is such a pleasure to build and I'm having fun!

Seatbelts installed. These were stolen from my Mosquito set.

19020701.jpg

The Ultracast resin plug representing the front of the Merlin 29 has been installed. Unfortunately there was a broken corner in the glue ring. Resin is very fragile and it's not the first time I got broken parts. This one is no big deal though.

19020702.jpg

The fuselage and wings were stuck together tonight and the fit of the parts is among the best that I have ever experienced. The upper surface of the wheel well is visible through the open cockpit floor and so it was painted as bare aluminum. The areas outside of that were brushed black to enhance the shadows.

19020703.jpg

Thanks again for following.

Thanks chaps. Small setback as the resin engine plug went in jut slightly crooked. I'm in the process of periodically applying CA debonder to see if I can get it off and reseated. Pics later.

Thanks Hugh. During the day, I applied several doses of CA debonder to the resin plug and am happy to report that it eventually popped out with minimal force and without any damage. Here are some shots of what I did. First, this is how it looked once I got the fuselage halves together.

19020801.jpg

The liquid that you see pooled at the bottom of the plug is debonder. Once the plug was popped out, I cleaned the gluing flange and then had to enlarge the slot at the 9 o'clock position as this was forcing the plug, which has a tight-fitting tab to fit in the slot, into the tilted position.

19020802.jpg

Finally (and blurrily!) here's the plug glued back in place.

19020804.jpg

I mentioned earlier about the outstanding fit witnessed so far on this kit. Recall that the nose section forward pf the cockpit cam in separate pieces. Below you can see how well these parts mated. The break was strategically placed along a panel line with an ever so slight step near the canopy which will easily be hidden through rescribing of the panel lines

19020803.jpg

That's it for now folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back