**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 KAWANISHI N1K2-J "EARLY" - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model: Kawanishi N1K2-J (JT-73)
Scale: 1:48
Add ons: RB Model Brass 20mm Japanese cannons Type 99 Mk. 2

This model will represent an aircraft of the 343rd Fighter Group, flown by Leading Airman Ikuji Matsumura

1550333206072.png

FROM THE INTERNET

Last edited:
George,

Not sure how much these will help both pictures from the book Genda's Blade, Japan Squadron Aces 343 Kokutai. Profile is later than your picture but does have some nice info on it. Second one shows in flight but hard to make out details.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Note the second formation shot is NOT of real aircraft.

You sure Wayne, look at the middle aircraft in the center? It is hard to tell on tail number but sure looks like it. Then again I might just be getting old LOL. I know the 15 looks to be missing but could this one taken before the 15 was painted on the aircraft hinomaru.

Last edited:
Good stuff Paul. I like the part that says "....The bands were crudely applied.....". I can do crudely applied. First question, cockpit colour, which is correct. The one I built 3 years ago was done in Humbrol 75 Bronze Green, looks close to the photos of have of the pre-restoration aircraft. According to Urbans, this is equivalent to Tamiya XF-11 J.N. Green. Some have listed this as FS 34058. Now we go here...Aviation of Japan 日本の航空史: Shiden-kai, Shiden & Kyofu Colours ~ Part Two - Interiors 1 Ignore the 34058 as it is darker than the Humbrol color

1549109357907.png

...and the way I did it the first time...
1549109659064.png

This is the photo I used for my last build...

Last edited:
Good stuff Paul. I like the part that says "....The bands were crudely applied.....". I can do crudely applied. First question, cockpit colour, which is correct. The one I built 3 years ago was done in Humbrol 75 Bronze Green, looks close to the photos of have of the pre-restoration aircraft. According to Urbans, this is equivalent to Tamiya XF-11 J.N. Green. Some have listed this as FS 34058. Now we go here...Aviation of Japan 日本の航空史: Shiden-kai, Shiden & Kyofu Colours ~ Part Two - Interiors 1 Ignore the 34058 as it is darker than the Humbrol color

...and the way I did it the first time...
This is the photo I used for my last build...

Honestly George, I would refer you to master Wayne or Wojek on colors and well I am color blind so not much help there. Other wise I might have a book that recommends the color but that usually subjected to author. I am trying to find a photo of the profile. Usually a photo is used to create a profile, just finding it LOL. Also looking for a more detailed photo of the second one I posted.

Geo I have found five colours that could be used for the cockpit interior. Below the set. Two of them are these you posted above ( 258 and 127) and one is the colour mentioned on the site the link you attached ( 127). The colours 34151, 34226 and 34255 are coats found in a reference for the IJN/IJA colours I have on my shelf.

127.jpg
151.jpg
226.jpg

255.jpg
258.jpg

Also I found that the Mr.Hobby offred the C384 Cockpit Color (Kawanishi). It seems to match the FS 34255.

3.jpg

2.jpg
1.jpg

Done. Quite the formula of Tamiya mixing. I might be able to tone down Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab to get close to 34258. Looking at my bottle and your chips, it is very close to 34127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back