**** DONE: GB-41 1/72 Vought F4U-1A Corsair - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jock Tamson

Senior Airman
Jan 14, 2019
Scotland
Username: Jock Tamson
First name: Greg
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Revell
Extras: none - OOTB

corsair 4 GB (1).JPG
corsair 4 GB (2).JPG
corsair 4 GB (3).JPG
corsair 4 GB (4).JPG
corsair 4 GB (5).JPG
corsair 4 GB (6).JPG

Hi Folks!

Here is my entry for the GB, and my first in progress modelling project on the forum.

I have had this kit in the stash since it came out a few years back, and it looks to be well detailed OOTB. We shall see how it builds up.

I plan to finish it as the White 3 option, and hope to do some research in to the pilot and the actual aircraft as i go along.

Cheers

Greg :thumbright:

Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words folks - always appreciated :grin2:

Update with photos shortly.....

Cheers Greg

Got a little bench time in last night, and assembled the cockpit internals.

As you will see Revell have went "retro" with some horrible white plastic that is reminiscent of the 1970's :oldman:

Hopefully the molded on detail (it is there) will become visible with a bit of paint on....

001.JPG
002.JPG

There is an IP decal to apply, which i will try to use, but don't hold yer breath as i'm not so great with these. Ditto for the seat harnesses. Talking of the pilot's seat - it looks a bit of an odd shape and i'm not sure its quite accurate, which is odd for a 2014 molding. Anyway its not a lot but it is progress.

Cheers Greg

The Revell kit is so old that nobody remembers when it was issued. A little bit oversized but still very popular if you take the price into consideration.

Yep, I think the original issue was in the late 1960s or early 1970s - there may be a date and Copyright marking on one of the parts.
Looking good so far though.

Exactly my friend. the late 60' and early 70' was the time when none of medel manufactureres was thinking about accuracy of their kits. Just the technology wasn't so improved like it is these days.

Nice one Greg, and welcome aboard!

Guys, this is Revell's new tool kit from around 2014 or so, world's apart from their earlier release (which was a true 60s/70s kit, in every sense of the word). I've made the latter and have this kit in the stash.

This is a funny kit - arrived with no publicity I ever heard of, but is almost as good as Tamiya's offering. From an undercarriage point of view it's even better (Tamiya really stuffed up there!)
I've never understood why this kit has never received the recognition it deserves.

(As an aside, Revell also have an F4U-5 from around the same time, that kit is a reboxing of the Italeri kit however)

Last edited:
Nice one Greg, and welcome aboard!

Guys, this is Revell's new tool kit from around 2014 or so, world's apart from their earlier release (which was a true 60s/70s kit, in every sense of the word). I've made the latter and have this kit in the stash.

This is a funny kit - arrived with no publicity I ever heard of, but is almost as good as Tamiya's offering. From an undercarriage point of view it's even better (Tamiya really stuffed up there!)
I've never understood why this kit has never received the recognition it deserves.

(As an aside, Revell also have an F4U-5 from around the same time, that kit is a reboxing of the Italeri kit however)
Many Thanks A4K :hello1:

Like you i was surprised this kit didn't receive much attention when it came out as it is generally very good, and a lot cheaper than the Tamiya kits.

Cheers Greg

Greetings Folks,

Got some more bench time in at the weekend, and have progressed the Corsair. Generally speaking it has gone together well and there is nice detail OOTB.

The engineering of the kit is however not up to Tamiya standards and fit of some components took a little work to get a nice fit. The inserts of the office components was a bit hit or miss and did not align well, causing me to have to separate the fuselage halves and refit the seat and IP parts. The build up of the fuselage is not standard insofar as it comes in more pieces than you might expect.

Anyway, so far so good, here are a couple of pictures....

inter 1.JPG
inter 2.JPG

Regarding the actual aircraft, a quick search of the Internet found that it was piloted by Frederick "Big Jim" Streig (1921 - 1995) who achieved ace status with 5 confirmed victories while with VF-17 .

Cheers, Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back