**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.
I like these paints. As with anything 'new', they take a little getting used to, especially thinning ratios, but they spray very well, cover easily, and look 'true to life' as far as shade and depth of colour go, especially the Dark Green. which has long been a tricky one to find in enamels.
I'm hoping to get the panel lines and first stage of weathering done tonight, and possibly the first gloss coat - pics when there's more to show.

Got some light panel line work done, and the first stages of weathering, with some paint wear and streaking,and the first part of the exhaust stains.
A little more wear and staining will be done on the upper surfaces, before applying the gloss coat.
Once the decals are applied, some further dirt etc will be added, before spraying the matt finishing coat, with some more dirt and dust effects applied after this has dried fully.
The mg ports will be covered with decal tissue, replicating the doped fabric patches. I was going to leave these intact, with slight depressions into the ports, but as the cannon muzzles are open, I'll tear the patches around he ports, simulating the 'shot through' appearance. When the patches were applied, cardboard caps were fitted over the cannon muzzles, which could easily be simulated, but it seems a shame to hide the open muzzles on the model.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 503.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 505.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 511.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 507.JPG

Thanks, Wojtek and Hugh.
Just finished applying a second gloss coat. I'll leave this until tomorrow afternoon, and if it's smooth enough, start on the decals.

Made a start on the decals, with the code letters from a 1/48th scale Xtradecal sheet, the roundels from an Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito sheet, and the fin flashes from an old (1989) Allmarks SEAC sheet.
The fin flashes were soaked for around 30 minutes, then a further 10 minutes with Micro Sol, and still wouldn't detach from the backing sheet. I even tried pleading, and eventually threatened to play a Justin Bieber record, and still they wouldn't cooperate !
I eventually resorted to lifting the decal from the sheet with the edge of a scalpel blade, and applied them onto a coat of gloss varnish. I remember having to do this for the 1/48th scale version of this subject and, as I only had four of the Airfix roundels, I'll have to use two from the Allmarks sheet for the underside, using the same technique.
I should have the decals all done by tomorrow, and I'll post further pics the.
Thanks again for your interest.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 514.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 513.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 519.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 517.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 515.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 516.JPG

No kits, models, animals or humans were affected during this production.
However, Airframes Terminal Solutions are considering launching a decisive surgical strike, aimed at noise abatement control, against a particularly irritating , jumped-up, sh*te sounding nobody, who wouldn't last two minutes in a warbird, before crying, p*ssing his pants, and wanting comfort from daffodils (genetically modified to look pink), and ultimately looking in a mirror and realising he look a right tw*t !!!

He's over vectored Victor.

All the decals are done, with the serial number made up from individual characters from Ventura Decals, the stencils from the kit decal sheet, and the under-wing roundels again form the old Almarks sheet, applied in the same way as the fin flashes.
I'll let these settle overnight, then clean the model tomorrow and seal the decals with a gloss clear coat. Once that's dry, some more weathering will be done, before spraying the matt clear coat.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 520.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 521.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 522.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 523.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 527.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 528.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 533.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 524.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 525.JPG

Thanks all.

Looks like the decals have settled nicely, and even the old Almark fin flashes and under-wing roundels have settled into the panel lines and rivets.
The model has been cleaned, to remove decal film / water and tissue marks, and the decals sealed. I'll let this dry for a few hours, and then do a little weathering before spraying the clear matt coat.
Further weathering, dirt and dust will be added after the clear coat - pics soon.

Been working on the undercart whilst the clear coat is drying fully.
Each leg consists of four parts, two of which make up the torque links. From the angle of the links, and the length of the exposed oleo, it looks like these are modelled at almost full extension, so I hope the model doesn't sit too high !
Not much I can do about it, without some major work, which could potentially weaken the legs, so I'll have to live with it.
The kit wheels are just about acceptable, and much better than the strange examples in the Revell MkII kit, and have the correct four spoke pattern as used on the Mk.VIII, but these will be replaced by resin, 'weighted' wheels from Master Casters.
The pics below show the kit and resin wheels, and the legs with the uplock latches drilled out, and brake lines added using lead wire. The brake line at the base, leading to the hub, will be added later, along with the torque links.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 534.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 535.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back