**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne.

Having a bit of a frustrating time with the radio mast. There isn't a locating pin, with the part designed to fit, with a butt-joint, into a recess on the fuselage spine. But it doesn't fit, being too large !
Currently sanding, test fitting etc, trying to achieve a good, solid fit - that's after removing the sprue attachment points, shown below. What nonsense !

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 607.JPG

Thanks Wayne.

Having a bit of a frustrating time with the radio mast. There isn't a locating pin, with the part designed to fit, with a butt-joint, into a recess on the fuselage spine. But it doesn't fit, being too large !
Currently sanding, test fitting etc, trying to achieve a good, solid fit - that's after removing the sprue attachment points, shown below. What nonsense !

View attachment 561503
Yep, that's aggravating alright. I'd be tempted to go back to ensuring that the quality control on the ales and port had been properly conducted!

I'm tempted, but it's bl**dy cold outside, and I'm comfortable at the bench, fiddling with a tiny canopy latch !
Got the mast fitted, and hope it stays put.

Thanks Hugh.

The radio mast didn't stay put !
Eventually got it sorted, after a little more sanding and fixing with CA. The rear view mirror has been painted and fitted, as has the pitot tube, along with the I.F.F. dipole under the starboard wing.
The resin canopy latch has been attached, with the jettison ball made from stretched sprue and PVA.

Pics 1 and 2. The pitot tube in place, yet to have some heat staining around the tip, and the I.F.F. dipole antenna, made from plastic rod sanded to shape.
Pic 3. The rear view mirror and radio mast in place and painted, but awaiting a matt clear coat.
Pic 4. Making the canopy jettison ball handle. Stretched sprue was melted to form a rough sphere, and then attached to some fine lead wire, and coated in PVA to form the ball. Once set, this was painted black (as with the crow bar, red was not used until after WW2 ).
Pic 5. The ball and 'cable' were attached to the 'Barracuda' resin canopy latch, using CA, and the latch painted a steel colour. Once dry, the assembly was attached to the upper forward frame, using Humbrol Clearfix. When fully set and secure, the jettison ball will be adjusted to a more realistic length and angle, and the canopy will be fitted to the model, in the open position, again using Clearfix to hold it on the runners.
Pics 6 and 7. A couple of views into the cockpit, with a few small areas to re-touch.

I should get these final bits done either later tonight or tomorrow, and then clear a space to set up the 'photo studio' for the Finished Thread pics.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 611.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 613.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 614.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 608.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 609.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 619.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 620.JPG

Yes Andy, it was attached centrally, onto the release cables, but 'suspended' offset. I used lead wire in order to be able to 'bend it out of the way', so to speak, once fully set.
I'd also considered adding the 'pull' loop, but as the holes needed drilling out, and the part was so small and potentially fragile, I baulked at this. Checked wartime pics, and many showed the latch without the loop, so that was good enough for me !

It's now done, and i should have the Finished thread, and pics, done tomorrow .... or more correctly, later today !

Well, the canopy is on, and it's done. But I need to re-take the 'Finished' pics, as I'm not at all happy with the results so far.
I used the light box and photo lamps for the first time, and was not impressed, but learned three things :-

1.) I need to use a bigger table, as the 'box' is 2 x 2 x 2 feet (I'll get the folding camping table out of the Tin Tent).
2.) The backcloth needs to be ironed, to eliminate the annoying folds.
3.) The lamps provided are nowhere near powerful enough, or adjustable in height, for the size of the light box (I'll look at getting better lighting for use with the box, and use these lamps for build shots.).

The pics below show the canopy in place, with the jettison ball adjusted, a 'taster' shot of the completed model, and the light box set-up, showing the poor lighting, all taken with the little Fuji compact digital camera.
I'll set up things better tomorrow, and try to improve on the lighting somehow, and then post the 'Finished' thread.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 628.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 631.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 630.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 633.JPG

Terry, mine looks smaller than yours, being only 15" wide. I too had the cloth back-drop and realized it was useless from the get-go. I use some cut to size poster board and slip it into the booth. My two side-lights are stationary and a bit too far back so I use a third lamp for extra fill as well. My top is movable so extra lighting can come from above if needed.

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Thanks all.
The light box itself is fine, and similar to Geo's, only larger. The different coloured backcloths should work OK, but need ironing to get the creases out.
The problem is the lamps themselves - they're supposed to be 5,000K (Kelvin), and although I don't remember the published Wattage, from memory I think they're supposed to be something above 150 Watt. The single halogen / LED bulb in my desk lamp is only 50 Watts, and is twice as bright as both of the 'studio' lamps combined !!
Also, the lamps are only around ten inches tall, without height adjustment, so really need to be stood on something to raise them to a usable height and angle - as mentioned earlier, I'll look at getting some better lamps.
Meanwhile, I've been playing around with different arrangements, and should have some decent pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back