**** DONE: GB-47 1:48 Hawker Typhoon FR IB - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Decal stage is complete and drying. Later I'll get rid of the small bumps and areas where silvering might occur and then clear coat. The photos I have of this kite show one side cleanish and the other quite weather beaten so I want to do a kinda in between.

1604682810693.png

1604682843245.png

Note that the right side code is slightly tarnished and the "dirt(?)" stains below the canopy. Also I don't think the area aft of the exhaust is entirely exhaust stained. Which would be a good method to achieve this?. I'm thinking either spraying highly diluted brown (never attempted before) or dry-brushing the same. As for the left side, I'm thinking (hoping) the light staining below the canopy might be a photo glitch

I'm just using a brushed on double coat of Future. I found that for me, leave the wash on for 20-25 minutes, lightly run some odorless paint thinner over a bit at a time to loosen the wash and then go over it again to remove. For what its worth, I use this stuff from Canadian Tire or whatever its called now

1604769669044.png

Another 15 minutes I can remove the final wash from the right side and that stage will be complete. Then I can work on getting the breaky-offy things ready

Fuselage done though I now notice a few spots that need cleaned up

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Test fit the gear legs and they slotted in very nicely, wheels to the gear legs...not so much, lots of play. Note the area behind the seat that I keep forgetting to paint. That'll be rectified in a moment

Thanks guys. Sprayed Tamiya Clear Flat on at a .8ml/.5ml mix (don't ask). Seems to be OK, I'll take pics in a bit when its dry. This is my first time spraying a clear coat and I gotta ask you guys, how the heck do you know when the AB is clean? I spent about triple the amount of time cleaning just to make sure everything was clean

For Tamiya paints, my first step is to fill the cup half full of 70% IPA, swirl a brush in it to get the paint off the sides and then I dump it without spraying. Then I fill the cup again and spray at 40 psi into a garbage bin, working the nozzle back and forth while spraying. When it's sprayed through, I repeat and then put the AB away. Every month or so, or sooner if I get issues, I'll take the whole brush apart and give it a thorough clean with lacquer thinner, taking care not to get it on any plastic or vinyl seals. I'll also lube the parts when I reassemble.

Good to know. I seem to be hitting over-kill perhaps. After spraying IPA and then water through, I strip it down; cap comes off, needle pushed through, clean the insides of everything with IPA, assemble and then blow some water through. I'm not cleaning anything behind the trigger. Anyhoo.....photos

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Thanks for that Andy. Started some weathering using chalk using black, dk. grey and some reddish brown. This is just a start as I've been told to go heavy as you lose some when you clear coat. What I'm going for and wear I am.

1604807087190.png

IMG_0002.JPG

Once I'm happy with this and its seals I'll add some exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back