GB-47 1/48 Hawker Typhoon - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The last few fiddly bits are now on. I know there was some discussion in Geo's build that the IFF antenna was pale yellow but I chose to go with a natural metal look based on other feedback seen from Edgar Brooks. The stirrup should have had its recess hollowed out but I didn't want to be drilling and cutting on this near finished model. The signal light was finished with PVA rather than using the too small kit lens.

20122701.jpg

Pitot tube and bomb stabilizers installed:

20122702.jpg

Some mild exhaust staining was sprayed on. Looks like I got a shadow from one the rear stub so will go back and fix that.

20122703.jpg

Same area port side showing the finished silver pencil chipping.

20122704.jpg

And finally, the VHF whip aerial:

20122705.jpg

So that last thing remaining are the 1000 lb bombs which, in theory, I could leave off since I don't have the proper type. That said, I do have these long tailed versions from my Wellington kit that I won't be using so I will try to modify these to make a convincing substitute.

20122706.jpg

The dimensions are almost, but not quite correct and so I will tweak them as you will see.

Last edited:
Nice work Andy, and great to see you back Paul, hope you're OK.

Andy, you probably have it in hand, but just in case - the "boat" antenna blister beneath the fuselage had a short, rod antenna protruding from the rear end, often pale yellow in colour, like the IFF rod antennae I've probably got pics somewhere if you need them.

EDIT :- Ignore that, we were evidently posting at the same time !!

I'm giving up on trying to modify the bombs from the Welly as it's turning out to be too much work. They aren't the right diameter so my thought was to try and add a layer of sheet styrene to increase it but I ran out of willpower to do this. In the meantime, I'll fix up some 500 pounders and glue them on and will make up an order of resin 1000 pounders at Ultracast when I figure out what else I'll need for future builds. so I don't pay 15 bucks shipping for a 10 dollar item.
21010201.jpg

Thanks guys. That's why there are resin after market ones I guess. Anyway, I made do with the kit 500 pounders modified with a small dowel on the nose to represent the arming vanes and a pin wire of stretched sprue. You can pretend that the vanes are there. I see them, do you?

21010301.jpg
21010302.jpg

I have yet to figure out a good way to produce that tight red ring on the nose of British bombs. This one is hand painted whereas the light green one was masked and sprayed. Anyway, this will all work for now and I'll post up some pics of the finished model tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back