GB-47 1/48 Hawker Typhoon - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents. Masked and painted the wing walks today before doing the salt weathering. I got some bad orange peeling in the matte coat in the wing roots so I'm going to need to smooth that out before going further.

20122301.jpg
20122302.jpg

Salt weathering Take 1. I decided to try this on the underside first so that in case I screwed up, I could screw the model upright to the display shelf. I brushed an area with water and sprinkled salt in a random pattern until well covered and then moved to the next area and repeated until the entire underside was done. I found it necessary to blot some pooled water up a bit because it ended up dissolving the salt. These small areas were touched up by dabbing a small amount of water and re-salting. The model was then left to dry until it looked like this:

20122401.jpg
20122402.jpg

Next, I added a thimble full of IPA to my airbrush and added a drop of Tamiya Buff, then mixed well. The model was then sprayed with 3 or 4 light coats of this mixture at low pressure and allowed to dry. My issue was that I didn't want to overdo this and one can't see the results until all the salt is removed so I stopped there. The salt was then removed with a stiff brush followed by a wipe down with a damp cloth. The result was extremely subtle and barely visible in the below pic. You can't really see it on the grey but the roundel does show some of this effect.

20122403.jpg

The lesson is that I could have done a few more passes on this light background and so I'll take that learning to the upper side. The thing is though that the colours are darker and so may show the effect with fewer coats. I'll try it with 3 or 4 passes again and check.

Back later.

Is it later yet ?

Yes. The uppers are done with the first pass being done with Tamiya Deck Tan (not Buff as I incorrectly reported earlier) and then a repeat near the engine with a drop of black in a thimble full of IPA. Again very subtle and more visible to the naked eye than in the photos. I'm pretty pleased with the results and have the confidence to do this again.

20122404.jpg
20122405.jpg
20122406.jpg

Final shots with the black applied. Can't see much but, as I said, it's better in real life.

20122407.jpg
20122408.jpg
20122409.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by. Have a good Christmas guys.

Beauty. I can just make out some and that's what you want. Happy Holidays my friend. Over to the daughters house tomrrow once the grandkid wakes up so I'm figuring about 4:30 ish

Thanks chaps. It was a quiet day yesterday and I did manage to make some significant progress. First off, an overall picture of the model showing how she looks at this stage:

20122601.jpg

The sliding canopy has been glued in place after masking the black area behind the head armour and painting the camo colours up to the seal strip. This area had, up til now, been covered by the hood in the closed position, which I used to keep overspray from going into the cockpit. The hood itself did not fit well and needed a fair amount of downward pressure and the use of CA glue to make it sit where it should. Note also that a bit of chipping has been started. For this I used a silver pencil.

20122602.jpg

The prop has been glued in place after weathering. It's not seen well here but the tips of the blades got a dose of silver sprayed from a distance to represent wear. I'm going to do a bit more work on some of these blades as I'm not yet satisfied with the look now that I am studying these closeups.

20122603.jpg

The beautiful Ultracast exhausts fit very well and are a welcome change from the boney kit ones. Note the black pastel faintly applied at the cowl panel lines to represent greasy fingers.

20122604.jpg

On the underside, we see the undercarriage in place as well as the inner gear doors and cooler flap. The grunge is quite evident and more than I might normally do but photos show this rig to be quite filthy. The cannon shell and link ejection chutes show quite a bit of black staining and the mud of Eindhoven was famous.

20122605.jpg

A close-up of one of the aftermarket Barracuda resin wheels shows the mud and dust effect that I wanted to achieve. The lead wire brake line can be made out as well.

20122606.jpg

The inner gear doors are also in place after receiving the salt weathering and a black wash on the inner depressions. The steel wear strip was made by simply running a graphite pencil over this area.

20122607.jpg

That's all for today but I should get a bit more done over the next day or two and will post up what should amount to the final pics during the next week. As always, thanks for following along and for the kind support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back