**** DONE: GB-47 1:72 NA Mustang II - WW2 D-Day and After - Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Masking and painting underway

P1013093.JPG
P1013096.JPG
P1013097.JPG

I like em all Bill, but I've always had a soft spot for these early Alison powered ones

Update for work done over the last few days

Masking for the invasion stripes

P1013103.JPG

Medium Sea Gray sprayed and some of the masking taken off

P1013105.JPG

The 4 part canopy masked and glued on

P1013107.JPG

Ocean Gray sprayed on. This is almost the last of My Model Master Ocean Gray and it has been discontinued by Testors (along with most of the rest of their enamels) and can not be found anywhere. after spraying this and the Hurricane I have maybe enough left for a 1/48th scale fighter so I'll have to find something else. Acrylics scare me, the few times I tried it did not turn out well. To stay with enamel at this point I think Ill have to try Humbrol because I think its the only game in town. I know there were issues with it in the past, Does any one know if it has improved in the last couple of years?

P1013110.JPG

Judging by Terry's diatribes, probably not. Though they are acrylics, I'd suggest you give Tamiya paints a try Glenn. Super easy to work with, can be thinned with cheap 70% IPA, and they spray on really nice. Wayne and I are regular users.

I really like your work on this model so far and look forward to seeing it finished.

Hello,
I work with both paints: acrylics (Tamiya and MrHobby Aqueous Hobby Color) and enamels (Humbrol and Revell) with Aztek A470 airbrush and no problem in all cases.
Maybe it's my screen but your Oceran Grey isn't a little too light ?

Thanks Andy, I think I'll give the Tamiya a shot. At least it's readily available.

Steph, the ocean gray is darker in real life. I think the picture is a bit over exposed. There might be somthing wrong with my camera. Pictures I took last week all had to be adjusted for brightness. Is seemed to be working ok last night but when I compaired these pictures to the model this morning I could see it's still a bit off

Good stuff Glenn.
It's a shame the MM paints have been discontinued, as I really liked them. The Humbrol range is still a bit hit or miss, and I now tend to use only their basic colours, along with a few from the Revell range.
Very good alternative enamels are the former "WEM" paints (White Ensign Models), which are now handled by Sovereign Hobbies, and I believe they have a North American distributor. There's also the Xtracolor range, from Hannants, with accurate camouflage colours, produced as a gloss finish, ready for decals, with others, such as some interior colours, in a matt finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back