**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf 110 G-4 - WW2 Night Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents :)
Well, cockpit and fuselage closed.
DSCN5529.JPGDSCN5531.JPG

Next step is the nose and here, the "problems" begin. I use the term "problems" because I don't really know the armament configuration. I indicate in post #4 the "problem" I talk about: "I suspect no ventral armament and I read that H. W. Schnaufer didn't like the 30mm Mk108 cannon and didn't use the four MG 17 of the nose. It seems that he used only MG 151/20 in the lower fuselage as forward armament. So, I wonder what part on the kit I'll use for the nose..."
These informations about armament used by H. W. Schnaufer are from the excellent Neil's website: FalkeEins; infos here: Wolfgang Schnaufer's Bf110G

So, here is my problem: due the lack of photographic evidences for this project what should I make for the nose ?

- Option 1: no use of nose armament… What does it mean exactly ?
a/ standart MG 17 armament mounted but not used ?*
b/ MG 17 not mounted, but in this case, what part to put for this option ? In this case it's very probable that the armament openings were filled, isn't it ?
36900_1_edu8208_5.jpgCapture.JPG

- Option 2: => standard armament (4xMG 17) made with resin part from Eduard kit 8208 (revised cowl with more rounded air scoop fairing).*
Capture.JPG
* Same configuration

I keep working... Oops, correction, I keep racking one's brains :oops::rolleyes:

I'm thinking that the reported dislike of the MK108's meant that these might have removed from the nose and the holes faired over. The MK108s replaced the 4 MG's did they not? If so, how likely would it be that the 4 MGs would have been put back in and the cowl replaced to accommodate them? Maybe the additional 2x151/20's were also present in a pod to offset the MK108s being removed.

I'm thinking that the reported dislike of the MK108's meant that these might have removed from the nose and the holes faired over. The MK108s replaced the 4 MG's did they not? If so, how likely would it be that the 4 MGs would have been put back in and the cowl replaced to accommodate them? Maybe the additional 2x151/20's were also present in a pod to offset the MK108s being removed.

Oops, I forgot this "little" detail... :rolleyes: Effectively, the MK 108 was installed as standard armament on the late G's . I don't know exactly when... So, as you said, it's possible that the nose of my project could be the number 2 below but without cannons.
BTG_1452_fs.jpg

Hello,
Good progress. You'll need to do some fiddling to get the nacelles to mate with the wings nicely.

Indeed ! Some plastic card and putty to achieve a pleasant result but there was most work on the starboard wing/nacelle assembly than the port wing :rolleyes::)
Here is the result of the work of the week: some sanding and re-engraving left to do...
DSCN5535.JPGDSCN5538.JPG

I definitively decided the option for the nose. I think to copy the nose of the aircraft "C9+EN" flown by Oblt W. Johnen which landed in Switzerland late in April 1944 and was blown up the 19 May. This aircraft wnr.740055 is from the production block 740000-740084 manufactured in September and October 1943 at the GWF factory.
Messerschmitt-Bf-110G4-Zerstorer-5.NJG5-C9+EN-Wilhelm-Johnen-WNr-740055-Dubendorf-1944-01.jpg

My project is wnr.720260 from the production block 720151-720272 (factory not known: GWF or Luther ?). But the block 720151-720272 was manufactured in September-October 1943 like Johnen's aircraft. As you can see on Johnen's aircraft, no nose armament but the nose is the one designed for the 4 MG17's with the revised cowl (more rounded air scoop fairing).
Also, this aircraft is equiped with FuG 220 SN-2b with Fug 212 Lichtenstein C-1 and taking a closer look to the poor quality photo I have of my project, it seems it's the same antenna system... :-k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back