**** DONE GB-50 1/48 Heinkel He-111 - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
Username : rochie
First name : Karl
Category : intermediate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : ICM / Heinkel He111 H-3
Extras : spare decals

i started this build for GB 40 Heavy hitters III but lost interest due to the complexity of the kit and the dread of masking the clear parts ! :rolleyes:

original build here GB-40 1/48 Heinkel He-111 - Heavy Hitters III

picture from Jagdwaffe bombers of the luftwaffe
1620476847354.png

Last edited:
This Heinkel He III was one of a number of aircraft that had taken off in the early morning of 3rd February 1940 to attack shipping off the North East coastline of Britain. The loss is probably the most widely known Luftwaffe loss in Yorkshire. Three of the Luftwaffe aircraft failed to return to their bases, two of which crashed into the sea off Northumberland and the other is detailed below.
This Heinkel was first picked up by the Danby Beacon Chain Home system at 09.03hrs whilst sixty miles out to sea. Allied fighters were scrambled to intercept these aircraft flying at around a thousand feet and located them at 09.40hrs. This Heinkel had just made an attack on a trawler when it was intercepted by three Hurricanes piloted by F/Lt Peter Townsend (L2116), F/O Patrick Folkes (L1723) and Sgt Jim Hallowes (L1847) of 43 Squadron based at Acklington. Townsend made the first attack and damaged the HeIII's starboard engine, his attack also killed one of the German crew, Uffz Leushake. Folkes was next to attack, his bullets also found their mark damaging the fuselage and hitting another German crewman in the stomach, Uffz Meyer, who later died from these injuries. Hallowes positioned himself clear but heading off any possible escape which the Heinkel's crew may have hoped for. During the attacks that followed another airman, Uffz Missy, was shot in the leg, these injuries would later result in his leg being amputated. The Heinkel was by now severely damaged and was on it's way down, the Luftwaffe pilot had no choice but to make a forced landing on land. The aircraft flew very low across Whitby and out into the countryside beyond. By all accounts it had been shot at until it was on the ground, where upon it ploughed through a snow covered field, a hedge and a tree and came to rest near the farm cottages at Bannial Flat Farm, Whitby. Locals had already started to follow the stricken bomber even before it was on the ground, it was apparently so clear that it would crash soon after.

000264-1-jpg.jpg

1hfma-jpg.jpg

Thanks chaps.

ok most of the masking done, got a few windows left but they are all flat squares so a tad easier.
you'll notive 3tiny triangle windows not masked, these will be done free hand and then tidied up with a wooden toothpick as they are just too small for me to mask.

received_1158222824641352.jpeg
received_918366872062824.jpeg
received_1464909910546617.jpeg

Will get this part finished later and then need to check my stocks of RLM 70, 71, 65 paint colours before nipping to the shop tomorrow.

Ok a lot of progress over the last 3 days.

RLM 65 on lower surfaces and RLM 71 on uppers

received_309822017255511.jpeg
received_312968773666583.jpeg

While that was drying i assembled and painted the main wheels and undercart, wheels are only dry fitted as I'll add the no slip stripes and gloss the hubs.
received_1344160869303126.jpeg

Painted the cockpit window frames

received_186568096660284.jpeg
received_372334937503685.jpeg

Masked ready for the RLM 70 splinter cammo, would've painted that but the very poor light in my room made it impossible to differentiate between the paint colours !

received_1620612894795140.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back