**** DONE: GB-52 1:72 Boeing B-17G - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Username: N4321U
First name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model: B-17G Flying Fortress Kit No. A08017A
Scale: 1:72nd
Extras: Custom decals. Etched cockpit stuff. A bunch of scratch building because all the Etched extras are just getting too silly to buy. Kit was a stretch by itsownself!!!!!.

Another in my long line of Davidson flown A/C.
#43-38757 - B-17G
Group Squadron Sq Code A/C Code:

384BG 547BS (SO*L)
Name: PEASLEE'S PAYOFF (Master Log Misspelled as PEASLEY'S PAYOFF, found photo of nose and corrected for decals)
Notes: 43-38757 Delivered: Lincoln 16/9/44; Grenier 30/9/44; Assigned: 547BS/384BG [SO-L] Grafton Underwood 6/10/44; crash-landed Troston AD, Sfk, UK Pilot: Wallace Davidson 8/5/45, rep; Returned to US: Bradley 11/7/45; 4185 BU Independence 12/7/45; 4136 BU Tinker 19/12/45; Scrapped: Kingman 12/1/46.
Source: B-17 Master Log - Dave Osbourne

So the particulars. Pretty well covered for the overall appearance when in service. Am happy with all this.
It begins. At least I don't have to use a sledgehammer on my house to build it!!!!! Sorry Geo couldn't resist but I haven't checked to see if it will fit in any one of my display cases??????
GB53-X1.jpgGB53-X2.jpg GB53-X3.jpgGB53-X4.jpgGB53-X5.jpgGB53-X6.jpg

Bill, it looks from the picture of the crash you posted that this Fortress has a plexiglass nose that I've seen on other B-17s but had a different shape than the type that was more common, being less pointed and rounder on top with a larger bomb aiming window. I know the Academy B-17G kit does not include this shaped nose in their kit. Is it included as an option in the Airfix Kit?

Last edited:
Who else besides myownself HATES Super Glue???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Okay, I have started the cockpit, made some good headway at crap that will never be seen.
Required dots of Super Glue, GD stuff. What makes some think it's permanent? It's only on fingers it's permanent!!!!

Okay, some shots.
There are half a dozen Oxy tanks behind the PIC and CoPilot, why aren't they included like some of the other invisible stuff.
So I just Had to! Used my dremel as a lathe, done it before. Works a treat.
GB53-1.jpg
Each side of the door to the radioman. Look at the size of them dimples! Used a filler and sanded smooth, no problem.
GB53-2.jpg
Throttle quadrant. Instructions were to cut off bits, found it easier to Construct a new one.
Super Glue????????? Bending stuff. Until I really read the instructions, all them levers!!!!!!!
Alchohol softened the pain. All the fiddly bits are Not there. I kinda gave up! Who will know?
GB53-3.jpg
IP, seats, walls, well one wall the other is still getting more PE!!! And Super Glue!
GB53-4.jpg
Funny but the instructions don't have you Finish all the cockpit in the beginning.
But I am. I don't want to have to go back to it again later!!!!
Back soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back