**** DONE: GB-52 1:48 Boeing B-17F - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
Username: Mainly28s
First name: Olaf
Category: Beginner
Manufacturer: Revell
Model: B-17F Flying Fortress No 04297
Scale: 1:48
Extras: Kitsworld 1/48 scale Boeing B-17 F/G Flying Fortress Decal Sheet- KW148135 B-17G 44-83514 'Sentimental Journey' Commemorative Air Force Arizona Wing. and decal strips (if I get to them) to replicate some of the external lines painted on the nacelles and upper surfaces.

One sure to annoy the USAAF supporters! This will be a well-documented captured B-17F flown by Hans-Werner Lerche at Rechlin.

Boeing B-17F-27-BO 'Wulfe-Hound' (41-24585) served with 360th BS, 303rd BG 'Hell's Angels' and was damaged during bombing run on 12th of December 1942. Pilot Lieutenant Flickinger was forced to land at Leeuwarden airfield in Netherlands. The B-17 was repaired and two days later assigned the Stammkennzeichen DL+XC and was transferred to Rechlin. Here she was tested and later had visited fighter units throughout Germany and France so that pilots could recognize its strengths and weaknesses. 'Wulfe-Hound' then returned to Rechlin in July 1943 before being transferred to I/KG 200 in September 1943 and re-coded A3+AE.

I will keep my internals to the absolute minimum I feel I can get away with. The only significant external change will be the deletion and fairing over of the belly turret (it was apparently damaged in the crash landing), and, obviously, the colours and markings.

I'll edit this posting with a starting picture of the kit and decals in the morning.
boeing-b-17-flying-fortress-4199.jpg
PXL_20211207_080043500.jpg

Last edited:
Good one Olaf.
Well, I had a teeny-weeny one in the last build (the Grunau Baby), so I thought, "let's go large!"

I still have a B-24D, He-177 and FW-200 in the stash for when I get more confident (and future builds), but a B-17 feels simple enough for now. The parts count is quite low for a 1/48th kit, and I'm not expecting fantastic detail or accuracy, as long as it looks like a B-17!

A few bits and bobs internally are fitted, and the plug for the lower turret is measured.
I was curious, as I spoke of the tiny Grunau Baby, so I took it off the shelf and put it next to the B-17. Good grief- I really did go from tiny to gigantic, didn't I?

The Grunau Baby's wingspan is less than one wing of the B-17!
PXL_20211207_143751151.jpg

A bit of progress- the low parts count and my decision to keep internals to a minimum (i.e., what was supplied in the box), mean that I've managed to assemble the cockpit bits, main wings and elevator, and the landing gear bays in the wings so far. I keep being amazed at the sheer size- the tailplane has the same span as a P-47!
PXL_20211209_114806808.jpg

Should go quick.
That's what I'm hoping- I need a win, one that goes together without hassles, and without fuss. I think my biggest hurdle will be the yellow undersides. I've actually found a reference that says the underside was initially left in NG and only resprayed later. I'm debating with myself whether I should leave it grey or do the yellow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back