**** DONE: GB-52 1:72 Heinkel He-111H-6 - Heavy Hitters IV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Username: Bustedwing
First name: Graham
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Airfix/Hornby
Model Type 1:72 scale Heinkel 111 H-6
Add Ons: Some scratch built details. After market decals.

Went through my stash and the Bv-222 and the He 111 were the only two kits I have that fit this build though the BV 222 was heavy I thought it was a bit of a stretch. Besides. After the Me 323 I don't have enough room for it. I plan to do the desert ( North African ) version of the Heinkel. The Airfix kit is amazing. I'll show a picture of what's left of the first Airfix kit I did of this plane near 45 years ago. Not much left of it, It starred in a short lived diorama and has since served faithfully as my favourite paint pig. Also, a picture of the Revell offering of the same I built about 20 years ago. The new issue of theAirfix kit is a night and day difference ! Been looking forward o building this for quite some time.

He-111 (1)r.jpg

He-111 (2)r.jpg

He-111 (3)r.jpg

He-111 (4)r.jpg
He-111 (5)r.jpg

Bomb mystery. With the external bomb racks equipped would the internal bomb racks be removed ? The instructions show no steps to include the internal racks even though they are present in the kit. Perhaps for another version but would they have been removed with the external racks ? Also, Normally I would paint the interior RLM 66 as far as anything seen under glass. Would this include the rest of the fuselage ? I was thinking about doing the cockpit RLM 66 and the rest of the fuselage in RLM 02. I had a chance to climb around in a Casa 2.111 with my son. The one that unfortunately crashed in Wyoming killing both pilots. It was painted a colour I would had said was a match for RLM 66 front to back. My son and I at Pat Bay Airport.

casa.jpg

Regarding the interior colours .. as memo serves the He 111 cockpits were being painted in RLM 66 just before 1941 when the RLM introduced the colour officially, almost certainly from the P variant onward. The entire rest of the fuselage interior was of the RLM 02 also used for the bomb and wheel bays. However it is very likely the bomb bay was of the RLM 66 as well. There were quite large side windows at the compartment so the interior could be seen from outside.

He111bombrack.jpeg

the source: He 111 wing bomb racks

he-111-any-growth-potential-image00240001.jpg

he-111-any-growth-potential-image00240002.jpg

he-111-any-growth-potential-image00240003.jpg

he-111-any-growth-potential-image00240004.jpg

the source: He-111H-6 and H-16: Can we free up the Second Bomb Bay for uuuhm... Bombs?

I agree.
Photos from the BoB in 1940 also show the cockpit area in RLM66, and interior photos from various manuals show the remainder of the fuselage in RLM02. However, the actual bomb cells themselves were RLM66, and these, although (probably) removeable, with a lot of work, would normally be retained, the external racks being "bolt on accessories", for want of a better term, for use when a heavier load was required.

I agree.
Photos from the BoB in 1940 also show the cockpit area in RLM66, and interior photos from various manuals show the remainder of the fuselage in RLM02. However, the actual bomb cells themselves were RLM66, and these, although (probably) removeable, with a lot of work, would normally be retained, the external racks being "bolt on accessories", for want of a better term, for use when a heavier load was required.

I came across this today courtesy of iModeler.com "Beginning with the He-111H-4 that entered production after the Battle of Britain, ordnance-carrying ability was changed, The aircraft could either carry 4,410 lb of bombs internally or mount one or two external racks to carry one 3,970 lb or two 2,210 lb bombs. These external racks blocked the internal bomb bay doors, and a 221 US gallon tank was put in the space left vacant by the removal of the internal bomb-bay. Some H-4s had their PVC racks modified to drop torpedoes."

Well I have to say, I think this is the third or fourth of Airfix's " new tooling" kits and it's a dream so far. The fuselage is ready to go together. The interior detail is great for a 1:72 scale kit. If anyone has built their old He 111 kit well it's a night and day difference !! I made the belts with masking tape and cut the hardware off PE sets and glued them on. I also made cushions for the seats with cardboard. Otherwise it's out of the box.

He-111 (6)r.jpg

He-111 (8)r.jpg

In the midst of " Fix the broken LED XMAS lights that burned out sitting in a box in my basement over summer " Season, some time was found for advances on the Heinkel. The kit has been flawless so far as far as fit is concerned there is however a gap between the port wing and fuselage that will need a bit of body work. At first I notice also a gap or miss fit between the radiator cowls and the nacelles and thought they would need some body work. Looking at pictures though it appears they were made that way. Next up is the masking of all the clear parts, Oooh fun stuff ! Great kit !

He111 (9)r.jpg

He111 (11)r.jpg

He111-09.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back