**** DONE: GB-52 1/72 Junkers Ju 88A-1 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably contrast and colour balance on different monitors - on my monitor, the mag looks very dark grey, with a slight brown tinge, due to the original image source. But they were black, and I can 100% confirm this, having demonstrated both air and ground use MG15's during my time !
The slightly fuzzy, enlarged crop of the instructions drawing below shows where the strap was located (red lines) on top of each magazine. This was used to grip the mag and drop it onto the feed on the receiver of the weapon.
BTW, the tubular receiver of the MG15, aft of the magazine, was often sheathed in wood, as were the outer faces of the pistol grip. The remainder of the weapon, including the barrel cooling jacket, trigger group and butt cap, were Parkerised metal (i.e. black, with a very slight blue tinge).
However, examples mounted in aircraft have also been seen without the wood sheathing, being overall black.

Ralph 5.jpg

Probably contrast and colour balance on different monitors - on my monitor, the mag looks very dark grey, with a slight brown tinge, due to the original image source. But they were black, and I can 100% confirm this, having demonstrated both air and ground use MG15's during my time !
The slightly fuzzy, enlarged crop of the instructions drawing below shows where the strap was located (red lines) on top of each magazine. This was used to grip the mag and drop it onto the feed on the receiver of the weapon.
BTW, the tubular receiver of the MG15, aft of the magazine, was often sheathed in wood, as were the outer faces of the pistol grip. The remainder of the weapon, including the barrel cooling jacket, trigger group and butt cap, were Parkerised metal (i.e. black, with a very slight blue tinge).
However, examples mounted in aircraft have also been seen without the wood sheathing, being overall black.

View attachment 652480
I hope I can get those details on the wepons as small as they are. Many thanks for your input.

This is looking good. I'm impressed with the account of detail is on the interior of a Revell. It's simply amazing. And what you're doing with the painting and research is incredible. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm detailing the engine area and have run into a conundrum. Most likely the answers are not a right or wrong but a consensus? The engine areas behind the prop, even on the actual craft, seems very low in detail. I suspect this is a cover to protect the actual working parts from debris? In the one photo it appears that there is screening being supported by ribs? In any case, when looking at photos of actual craft I see many variations in the painting. From solid to patched colors, one panel to multiple. Any ideas on what is 'standard'? If color variations, what would they be? Silver/white? I have sprayed, for the mean time, mine with the RLM 70, one of the exterior colors. The instructions indicate using Anthracite (kind of blackish?). Images of the model builds show a dark recess panel with the 'ribs' a lighter color (white or silver?).

Maybe I'm just seeing photo reflections and the shadows appear to be different colors? The books that I have, describing these, don't show this level of detail in the schematics.

colors 2.jpg

colors 1.jpg

color 5.jpg

colors3.jpg

color 4.jpg

Usually a light trick. These parts were of the camo coat looking like a kind of the metalic shade.

ju88.jpg

Also could be painted with the white camo ...

ju88_a.jpg

ju88_.jpg

Always a dependable resource!! When I submitted the request my mind flashed 'Wurger'. Many thanks. I'll detail out with white aluminum and leave the RLM 70.

BTW Ralph, I noticed you were wondering if Wayne's Ju188 was just an upscaled version of your Ju88. The answer is NO. Though many parts were common with the 88, the 188 had a redesigned cockpit/canopy and squared vertical stab.

BTW Ralph, I noticed you were wondering if Wayne's Ju188 was just an upscaled version of your Ju88. The answer is NO. Though many parts were common with the 88, the 188 had a redesigned cockpit/canopy and squared vertical stab.
My bad, or I'll just claim senior moment. I completly missed the '1' in front of the '88'! Now you understand why I'm not ready for the Advanced Class (yet)! Should be fun and educational to watch the build progression none the less.

While not quite at the camo paint stage yet, I was looking up some reference photos to do a sanity check on the Revell directions. The first photo has a two fold question. I seem to see the camo colors from the tops of the wings (RLM 70 or 71?) wrapping over the edge and extending to the bomb racks. Unusual or just a non A-1 variation mixed in the photo set? Also in this photo, just below the camera window port, there appears to be another opening? Window, or access plate, painted in a different color than the RLM 65 that is surrounding it? The kit would allow for masking a clear pane, since this element is molded in clear acrylic, but would that be accurate?

The second photo shows the rudder painted in a contrasting color. Being a B/W photo it may be yellow (?), and not a craft marking that was used in the Bob?

The last photo. I looked at many photos at this angle and have only come across this appearance of yet another window in the camera pod? I don't intend to duplicate, but just interesting the variations that I have been seeing, subtle, in the same model A-1.
window.jpg

camo2.jpg

window2.jpg

The third shot presents the C variant that was the fighter one. The glasssing of the nose was painted in order to cheat the enemy pilots they met the bomber version. It doesn't have anything in comon with the A sub-type.

The first image ... the darker tone of the camo at the pointed areas is a light trick. Just there is the shadow caused by the engine nacelle and the fuselage. Certainly the areas were slightly darker or just dirty because of the exhaust fumes. But it the case that's the shadow there.

The second picture shows the Ju 88V-8 prototype coded WL+008. I don't remember if the rudder was painted with a lighter colour ( eg. the yellow or white ) or it is again the light trick. Anyway the coat must have been very thin because the the orginal camo scheme can be seen there too.

The third shot presents the C variant that was the fighter one. The glasssing of the nose was painted in order to cheat the enemy pilots they met the bomber version. It doesn't have anything in comon with the A sub-type.

The first image ... the darker tone of the camo at the pointed areas is a light trick. Just there is the shadow caused by the engine nacelle and the fuselage. Certainly the areas were slightly darker or just dirty because of the exhaust fumes. But it the case that's the shadow there.

The second picture shows the Ju 88V-8 prototype coded WL+008. I don't remember if the rudder was painted with a lighter colour ( eg. the yellow or white ) or it is again the light trick. Anyway the coat must have been very thin because the the orginal camo scheme can be seen there too.
Great explanations. On the fighter, when I first looked at the photo I thought, well, that was a sorry a.. masking job on the windows! Looking closer now, I don't see any interior. Should have been a dead give away!

Having grown up in the B/W photo era I should know that the contrasts would be exaggerated over multiple copying. But they sure are 'sharp' defined transition lines. Must have been a really sunny day ,late in the afternoon?

And now that you point it out, the camo pattern is definitely there on the rudder, and over painted. Must have been a special campaign coloring?

Many thanks. I'll go back to following the box art suggestions now.

Any thoughts on that window/panel directly behind the camera glass?

Oh .... I have omitted the Window, or access plate at the ventral gondola. It was a window that had a plate cover at the gondola interior that could be closed or opened. Having opened it, the bomb aimer could see the bomb running. But when working as the ventral rear gunner he could close the window as there were his feet/legs kept.

front gondola_1.jpg

front gondola.jpg

the pic source: the net.

post-5311-1247494626.jpg

post-5311-1247494730.jpg

the source: Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back