**** DONE: GB-53 1/48 Morane-Saulnier MS 410 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hobbycraft Morane-Saulnier "Swiss" MS 410
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: None at this time

I will be building the Finnish MS 410 shown below using a combination of decals from the kit and my spare decal stash and masked &painted markings.
One thing I can see right away is that the yellow "1" in the profile is incorrect. The B/W photo shows the yellow stripe as a much darker color than the "1". I believe the "1" should be white or possibly a very light blue. I will more than likely be going with white.

images.jpg
KT9GkAW.jpg

Last edited:
About the only thing I know about it from a Google translation of a Finnish caption that says that the pilot was Sergeant Uolevi Jaakkola, that winter mask and washed away at the end of April, and what looks like a date of Feb 20, 1943. I also have a caption in what I think is Russian that I've had no help from Google translate with. I am posting pictures of both below in the hope that someone can make more sense out of them than I have been able to.

KT9GkAWa.jpg
imagesa.jpg

I found this, which seems to be more accurate when compared to the B&W photo, plus it also has left, top, and bottom views.

10182671a2 - Cut 800.jpg

Here two shots of the Finnish MS.406 during trials with the non retractable skies.

MS406 ski_trials_.jpg

MS406 ski_trials.jpg

the source: the Internet

and here skies used for towing by the ground maintenance crews ..

MS-410 skis for towing.jpg

the source: the net.

Here's the kit. Typical early Hobbycraft.
It looks like it has all the decals I need except for the "1" on the tail

s-l1600.jpg
P1013615.JPG
P1013616.JPG
P1013617.JPG
P1013618.JPG
P1013619.JPG

I've built this same kit before some 20 years ago. It had been sitting undisturbed on a shelf in the basement for at least 15 years and was in need of a bit of dusting off

P1013620.JPG
P1013621.JPG

It cleaned up pretty well with the exception of the decals which I may replace with the ones from this new kit. I built this one straight from the box and can see there's room for some improvements with this new build.

P1013622.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back