**** DONE : GB-53 1/48 Yak-3 - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again.

Tested my patience today, successfully, by making the inner door retraction frames. I used 0.4mm lead wire so I could bend it easily:

22052701.jpg
22052702.jpg

After slapping some paint on, I'll open a bottle of Vino Rosso.

Thanks all. Getting down to the finishing touches now. The antenna wire was installed after drilling a hole through the rear canopy. Unfortunately, there is a bit of drill debris inside the canopy which I can't get at now because of the armoured glass that is in the way. I threaded the nylon through the hole down to the radio, secured it with a tiny dab of CA, and then fixed the other end to the tail. As I was drilling a hole on the vertical stab, the seam gave way and so it was a simple matter of sliding the nylon in and regluing the tail. Insulators were added using PVA glue and then the thread was given a coat of a steel colour.

22052901.jpg

The pitot tube, which was moulded into the wing and that didn't survive the first day, was replaced with Albion Alloys brass tube:

22052902.jpg

I'm close to finishing this model and so the next batch may be the final shots. Thanks again for your interest.

Good stuff Andy. I never know the diameters to use for those tubes so I've held off buying some. They certainly look a lot better

I bought two packs years ago that have multiple sizes in them (0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm) and these have done me nicely.

Small delay as I had a mishap painting the sliding canopy. Had to remove paint, masking tape glue, polish it, then dip in Future. May repaint today.

Repaint I did. Canopy has been installed, exhaust stains added, and wing walks schmutzed up:

22060101.jpg
22060102.jpg

This is a fantastic kit but I must say the clear parts are less than stellar. It's a weird springy plastic rather than that brittle stuff one usually gets but it will do.

A few touch-ups left to do and then I'll post the finished shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back