**** DONE : GB-53 1/48 Yak-3 - Eastern Front

Thanks again.

Tested my patience today, successfully, by making the inner door retraction frames. I used 0.4mm lead wire so I could bend it easily:

22052701.jpg
22052702.jpg


After slapping some paint on, I'll open a bottle of Vino Rosso.
 
Thanks all. Getting down to the finishing touches now. The antenna wire was installed after drilling a hole through the rear canopy. Unfortunately, there is a bit of drill debris inside the canopy which I can't get at now because of the armoured glass that is in the way. I threaded the nylon through the hole down to the radio, secured it with a tiny dab of CA, and then fixed the other end to the tail. As I was drilling a hole on the vertical stab, the seam gave way and so it was a simple matter of sliding the nylon in and regluing the tail. Insulators were added using PVA glue and then the thread was given a coat of a steel colour.

22052901.jpg


The pitot tube, which was moulded into the wing and that didn't survive the first day, was replaced with Albion Alloys brass tube:

22052902.jpg


I'm close to finishing this model and so the next batch may be the final shots. Thanks again for your interest.
 
Good stuff Andy. I never know the diameters to use for those tubes so I've held off buying some. They certainly look a lot better

I bought two packs years ago that have multiple sizes in them (0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm) and these have done me nicely.

Small delay as I had a mishap painting the sliding canopy. Had to remove paint, masking tape glue, polish it, then dip in Future. May repaint today.
 
Repaint I did. Canopy has been installed, exhaust stains added, and wing walks schmutzed up:

22060101.jpg
22060102.jpg


This is a fantastic kit but I must say the clear parts are less than stellar. It's a weird springy plastic rather than that brittle stuff one usually gets but it will do.

A few touch-ups left to do and then I'll post the finished shots.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back