**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Kawasaki Ki-61-Id
Aftermarket addons: None planned

The subject of this build will be the Ki-61 "Tony" flown by 2nd Lt. Shunzo Takashima of the 244th Air Group, Chofu Airbase, May 1945. I will use the kit decals for the build.

JP-KI61-24-2.gif

Image from: Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien/Tony

This relatively new Tamiya kit is well regarded and has plenty of detail. Given that I know very little about Japanese subjects, I've started to look at reference pics and articles for colours, etc. and I'll welcome any and all input from the members! I've found several period pics of this aircraft (some from the album on this site) and downloaded them to study. I plan to start work a little later when I get my bearings but will no doubt have lots of questions. See you in a bit.

Thanks gents. I made a small start by painting and assembling a few bits for the cockpit. There's some discussion about the interior colours but all builds I've referenced have gone with Tamiya's suggestion of XF-59 Desert Yellow and so that's what I used. I laid down a base coat of black first and then applied the sandy colour lightly to leave a bit of shadow showing through. The photos don't show the effect to the full extent. The silver bits will be largely invisible but I went ahead and painted them anyway.

22052201.jpg

Hello,
I made some researches for my Ki-61- I Ko project; there is some probability that for the early series, the cockpit color was in #3 "Ash Indigo" (hairanshoku) blue-grey, the same as Ki-21 or Ki-27. This color was officially specified by IJAAF for cockpit color since 1936. But it seems there is some modification from 1943 and the cockpit color was painted in #29 "Yellow Green" (Ki Midori Iro), similar to so called Nakajima cockpit interior. Other point, not all the IJAAF fighters were in this cockpit color, it seems that Ki-43-Is were in aotake cockpit color...

Thanks Hugh and Vic. A little more work has been done on the pit with details picked out, MG deck added, and weathering done.

22052301.jpg
22052302.jpg

The white smudge on the last photo is dried CA glue that was hit with accelerator. I had goofed up when setting the frame supporting the rudder pedals and missed the slot on the left side so I had to carefully loosen the part and jimmy it over to the slot and secure it. The high points of the glue have since been filed away so that the surface will fit flush against the fuselage side. More soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back