**** DONE: GB-54 1:72 Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ( Nick)- Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wing assembly. A fair bit of hacking and sanding was required to get the flaps to fold into the nacelles and there was a noticeable gap in the upper wing to fuselage on the port side. I filled it with some stretched sprue liquid cement and putty. I also settled on the more blueish aotake colour for the simple reason my yellow enamel had turned to yellow cottage cheese. How after a week I don't know ?

Ki-45 (22)r.jpg

Ki-45 (23)r.jpg

Ki-45 (24)r.jpg

Ki-45 (26)r.jpg

Ki-45 (27)r.jpg

Disco props and funkadelica ! Well according to the instructions the spinners are painted with a series of stripes. Beauty eh ? Until you take a look at the 8 tiny stripped decals (4 a side) That they would have you install on a convex surface and have them all line up with out a major brain aneurysm. Dremmel to the rescue !! The prop colour I came up with. Russian Brown and a touch of red and flat black. I could not find anything specific re the real colour, also, the yellow was painted on. Decals are supplied for them but well.......decals ! Help !

Ki-45 (28)r.jpg

Ki-45 (29)r.jpg

Thanks everyone. Thursday I'm hitting the hobby shop. The paint callout for the camo uses Mr Colour 128 and 130. The closest I have are all RLM colours so I'll see if I can come up with a better match. Meanwhile, work on the meatballs.

Well I hit the hobby store. In the entire lower insaneland there are only two shops that cater to model builders left. Imperial Hobbies at YVR and Magic box in Kerrisdale. Imperial had the two colours in Mr Hobby paints that I needed for the camouflage. Grey Green #128 and #130 Dark green Kawasaki. Never used this brand of paint before and experimenting with it I found it likes to make a lot of cobwebs kind of like a candy floss machine. I thinned it down and I should mention I have some Mr Colour self leveling solvent which I used to use just for smoothing out putty. I also found that a drop of Ronsons lighter fluid will eliminate the cobwebs/ At any rate I thinned it down even further and it seemed to eliminate the cobweb thing. So onward with the painting. I used Fibre Tech Liquid latex as a masking fluid, the stuff is amazing and miles better than any commercial masking fluids !!

Ki-45 (32)r.jpg

Ki-45 (30)r.jpg

Ki-45 (33)r.jpg

Ki-45 (34)r.jpg

That's a nice selection of oddments you have used to achieve your aim. Fibre Tech Liquid latex, that is cool and Ronson lighter fluid, again cool. Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this concoction. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back