**** DONE: GB-54 1:72 Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ( Nick)- Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adventures in Aotake 101. I used this metalic blue Testors Model Master enamel. #2119 Interior metalic blue. I thought it looked a little too blue so I added a drop of yellow to green it up a bit. After I sprayed it I thought I added way to much yellow. It seems though there was a huge variation depending on who, where or how the pigment was mixed into the clear coat. The pigment was added so a more uniform application was achieved. Wing it in other words.

Ki-45 (11)r.jpg

aotake.jpg

I've use other brands of blue metallic and they all vary in strength of colour, so mixing to tone them down is a bit of a hit and miss affair, so you did well. :D

Flap job. I removed the flags from the wings to pose them extended. When it came to how to make the stiffeners there had to be a better way than glueing strips of styrene down. Messy as all get go and hard to clean up. Plus the trailing edges of these wings are very thin. I used 3mm GM Fineline tape in strips and coated them with putty. When dry pulled the tape off. I think they turned out pretty good and with way less brain pain !

Ki-45 (13)r.jpg

Ki-45 (14)r.jpg

Ki-45 (15)r.jpg

Ki-45 (16)r.jpg

Poking along. The wings are ready to go together. I added a bit of detail to the inside of the nacelles though no one will see it which is good because it's not exactly accurate. I think " not exactly accurate" is going to be a theme with this one. I haven't decided what colour to paint the insides of the wing. I've been getting a lot of ideas from Wayne's build in GB 47. I do like the look of the aotake paint so I may use it for the insides of the wing. I'll spray it see how it looks and go from there. Mix a little less yellow though so it looks more blue than green.

Ki-45 (17)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back