**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 P-40F/L - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Username: Le_steph40
First name: Steph
Category: advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: AMTech 489202
Model Type: Curtiss P-40F/L
Aftermarket Addons: Hi-Tech 48001 superdetail for P-40E/F/L for Mauve kit, so only the cockpit and wheels will be used, and Squadron 9597 crystal clear canopy.

The kit:
amtech489202.jpg
Details here

It is very probable that I will not finish in time this build but the surgery steps will be a challenge... ](*,):wacky:

I've don that kit. not a bad kit I got the Eduard set for it and it was pretty nice. Plastic a little thin as I recall but worked great. Did the E in R. L. Scotts.

Looks like an interesting kit Steph with its HiTech resin, I'm assuming its an oldish kit. Looking forward to watching it grow under your masterful hands. :D

Thank you all for the comments :)
The project is the P-40F "white 104" flown by American Ace Robert "Westy" Westbrook from 18thFG-44thFS between April/May 1943 and July 1943. According to some sources, it seems that this aircraft was the second "white 104" flown by the Ace. The first was very probably SN41-14104, a short tail version, apparently flown until April or May 1943...
Westbrook R. B.-P-40F, juin 1943_1.jpgWestbrook R. B.-P-40F, juin 1943_2.jpg
:)

Good choice Steph.
That AMTech kit is the old AMT kit with resin parts. I built the AMT back in group build 24 and found that the underside aft of the cowl is all wrong. If you want to fix it here is a link to the fix I did in my build starting at post 54. P-40F lower cowl repair
With the resin nose at least you wont have to deal with the side cowl panels which are too short on all the AMT P-40 versions.

Hello,

Ready to start... Heu, I've already started (a little) 😁
Here is the Hi-Tech resin kit for Mauve model and their nose included in the kit of the P-40F/L
DSCN6179.JPG
The flaps and the rudder will be not used fot his build because the dimensions are not good. I will cut the sides of the cockpit to facilitate painting and assembly in the fuselage.

I don't know if it's usual, but my kit contains the short fuselage...
DSCN6182.JPG

I hollowed out the resin nose (for the weight) and I made the cutout in the nose of the fuselage for the resin nose
DSCN6180.JPGDSCN6181.JPG

Next step: the cockpit :)

Good choice Steph.
That AMTech kit is the old AMT kit with resin parts. I built the AMT back in group build 24 and found that the underside aft of the cowl is all wrong. If you want to fix it here is a link to the fix I did in my build starting at post 54. P-40F lower cowl repair
With the resin nose at least you wont have to deal with the side cowl panels which are too short on all the AMT P-40 versions.
Glenn, your build is in my favorites since several months; very inspiring and great work ! :thumbleft::thumbright:

I can't see the pic with the final effect. It seems it wasn't uploaded correctly. But the other pics look fine. :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back