**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My coat is only flat due to being trampled in the rush of members trying to flee the building after reading one of my jokes ..................

That's the one thing I've found about Vallejo paints. When you thing you're done shaking, shake some more. It seems everyone has a problem with Vallejo primers and paint lifting but I've found them no different than any other paint. My method is to bang the bottle against my palm for 5-10 minutes to loosen everything up and then shake for a long time, longer for primers and rarely do I get paint to lift. Glad it worked out Terry

Thanks Geo.
Being a "dyed in the wool" enamels user, I very rarely use acrylic paints, and have only ever used Vallejo paint once. Gave it a good shake and stir, sprayed it, and didn't have any problems.

Decals are underway, with all the main decals safely in place, but yet to be sealed.
The "stars and bars" are from the Eagle Strike "American Jabos Part V" sheet, with the remainder from the Kagero sheet included in their book "P-47 Thunderbolt with the USAAF in the ETO".
There are a couple of areas in the fuselage stars which will need a little touch-up with white paint, as the black of the AEAF stripes is showing through, and this will be done (very carefully !) once the decals have fully set.

I was a little apprehensive about applying the nose art, name, and the "score board", due to their size, and in the case of the name, the colours.
The nose art is over 35mm tall, and wedge-shaped, and needed accurate placement, and I was concerned that it might fold or tear when being applied, but it went on easily enough.
The name is in two colours, where the "K" and the "T" are in white, the remainder in black, with the white needing precise placement on the blue nose band. The "II" was also part of this decal, and would have to fold over the cowling flaps, which would almost certainly result in "kinks" or other problems. This was easily sorted, by cutting the "II" into a separate decal, and applying once the name was in place and settled. The name itself took a little bit of fiddling, but it ended up in the right place at the correct angle.
The decal for the "scoreboard", data block and pilot's name etc is all one piece, and over 40mm long, and again I was a bit concerned about folding and final positioning, but it went on fine. I'm not that keen on such large clear areas of decal on a "metal" surface, as this can possibly slightly discolour with time, and show up on the surface finish, even if sealed with a clear coat, but I guess only time will tell (the 1/32nd scale decals on the same sheet are separate "blocks" for the various parts of this area).

I'll let these settle until tomorrow evening, and then seal them all with a semi-matt clear coat, before moving on to applying a shed load of stencil decals, again from the Eagle Strike sheet.
Thanks again for the interest and kind comments, and I hope to be back with another up-date soon.

P-47 build 2 174.JPG
P-47 build 2 176.JPG
P-47 build 2 179.JPG
P-47 build 2 180.JPG
P-47 build 2 182.JPG

Terry for an old ARII kit your enhancements are paying off.I sent Wojtek the old 1/48 ARII P-40 he thought he could save it I got the better part of that gig :D but I am sure he will have something up his sleeve one day.;)

Thanks very much all, glad you like it.

As can be seen in the photos, there's a small amount of "silvering" around the "K" and "T" of the name, but this has now mainly settled. A close inspection has revealed a small kink in the clear carrier film in this area, so this will be pricked, and some Micro Sol brushed on, which should cure things.
I have to say that, apart from a couple of minor areas where some parts are perhaps rather basic by today's standards, although generally acceptable, these old Otaki / Arii kits are well produced, with superb, very delicate surface detail. OK, maybe a few of the panel lines are not totally accurate, but this will only be noticeable to an anorak-wearing, micrometer-yielding rivet counter, and they're good enough for me. Considering the original moulds are from the early 1970's, I'm impressed, and so far the model is turning out better than I'd expected.
At the fairly low prices these kits command, even if a shed load of aftermarket stuff is thrown into the mix, and with a little extra work and care, it looks like a very acceptable model can be produced at a very reasonable cost, which will still be less than a kit from the "big boys".
I have another Arii P-47 to do, and I'm looking forward to tackling that one.

meanwhile, I'm starting on the stencil decals, and hope to have another up-date over the weekend.

Thanks very much chaps, and I hope you all had a great Christmas day.

Not much more to show just yet, although the silvering around the name on the nose has been rectified, and the home made prop has been cleaned, re-painted, gloss coated and better decals applied, and awaits a matt clear coat on the blades.
My youngest daughter is up from London, visiting her mum for Christmas, and I'm meeting up with her tonight in the local pub - first time since early 2019, due to Covid restrictions and other things - so no more will be done today.
I hope to have a clear day tomorrow, and get a lot more done, and I'll post pics when there's something worthwhile to show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back