**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Spitfire MK.XVIe Low-back - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the support everyone. Last night and this morning were all about decal surgery/butchery and application. Happily, the patient did well and I'm relatively happy with how things are turning out.

Let's start with the underside where I decided to try the old ICM kit decals. Previous experience with these was memorable (not in a good way) but I decided to give these another shot as I like that they have a flat finish. This time they went on OK, though they remain bullet-proof with a tendency to shed even Solvaset setting solution without any sign of softening. After running a scalpel along the panel lines and applying Solvaset 3 times, they settled in place fine.

23042303.jpg

This is where I decided to stop with the ICM decals, since I had the codes and serials from Wayne for Darrow's mount. Also, the yellow rim on the ICM C1 type roundels is a very canary-ish rather than the deeper tone I'm used to and would not have matched the paint that I used for the upper wing roundels and leading edge strips. So, I went with spare Eduard decals for the roundels and Wayne's codes and serials. The latter were also a bit thick and impervious to Solvaset and I had to deal with a little bit of silvering. The black code letters are a little pale but will work fine.

23042302.jpg

With the first of these successfully on, it was full steam ahead with the intention of depicting Chuck Darrow's bird, as opposed to going with the fallback scheme 2I-V mentioned a few pages ago. The next step, and challenge, was to cut about 1mm off the outside of another spare set of Eduard C-type roundels for the upper wing. Recall that I had masked the yellow discs exactly to match the scale 56 inch outside diameter of the yellow edge, meaning that I would need to remove a bit of the blue outer edge of my C roundel decals. To do this, I placed three layers of Tamiya tape at the center of the decal, marked the center point, and used my Olfa circle cutter to score the decal.

23042304.jpg

It turns out the circle is very slighly off center but this won't be noticeable in the final placement. The cut edge came off cleanly and the decal looks good in place.

23042305.jpg
23042306.jpg

The above is before I put any decal solution on so the look will improve a bit after that. I cut the decal to fit over the small bulge - always a problem area on Spits.

With that done, the rest of the big decals went on quickly. Without supporting photos, I assumed that the serial number on the starboard side would have had the code "D" painted over it and so I cut off the "1"

23042307.jpg
23042308.jpg

Next, Darrow's machine is said to have had a series of yellow dashes along the base of the sliding canopy and these are included with the decals. However, they are not curved so I could see a lot of wrinkling happening. I therefore opted to cut the dashes on the curved parts and place them individually.

23042309.jpg

A bit of a fiddly application but it turned out OK.

23042301.jpg

The next issue was with the wing walkway stencils. ICM only included 1 strip and stencil for the inboard walkway so I had to find a matching "WALKWAY INBOARD" stencil. Try as I might, I did not have any spares - I recall messing this up on my Mk XIV and used some there I think - so I had to improvise. I did have a spare set of "WALKWAY OUTBOARD" stencils and a matching set of "WHEELS UP WHEN INDICATOR FLUSH" stencils. I surgically removed the word "OUT" and "IN" from these and created the needed wording. Talk about fiddly!!!!

23042310.jpg
23042311.jpg

23042312.jpg

That's it for today - need to rest my brain and hands. I'll add some more stencils in the next few days then start the weathering. Once again, thanks for the looks and likes.

Thanks so much everyone. Your comments are appreciated.

In looking over the model, I noticed a couple of spots that needed attention. I mixed a thin batch of Dark Green once more and adjusted the demarcation lines in two spots. At the nose, the green previously intersected the spinner on the top of the cowl but most pics and profiles of Spitfires have it wrapping around the vertical surface and intersecting the spinner much lower so I sprayed some more green there (see circle below).

23042503.jpg

On the starboard root fairing, I had a small notch in the demarcation line that I didn't like so I straightened the line:

23042504.jpg

With that done, I found a set of resin 4-spoke Ultracast wheels to use and glued those to my Eduard struts that I had installed the other day. The struts feature the correct length, rake angle, and also the canted axles so I made sure the wheels sloped like they should. The wheels were painted and weathered beforeheand and I added tiny decals to represent the slip indicator tape.

23042501.jpg

23042507.jpg

I also found some spare Eduard covers which correctly depict the curved surface rather than the flat ones included in the kit. I discovered these after I had already painted the kit ones but will use the Eduard ones anyway.

23042502.jpg

Then it was on to adding some panel wash. I started on the underside and kept it on the cleaner side (for me), since this aircraft arrived on 416 Squadron very late in the war.

23042506.jpg

A similar approach was used on the uppers, though I kept it very restrained:

23042505.jpg

The wash is a mixture of water, dish soap, and powdered black and brown artist pastels. I find this stuff to be much cheaper and more forgiving than commercial washes. In particular, the Tamiya panel line washes are very agressive and react with the gloss coats I use so they don't wipe away easily, leaving unwanted marks in the finish.

Next will be the application of a matte coat and the addition of some final weathering and fiddly bits. Thanks again for looking in and for the kind words.

Thanks so much everyone. Your comments are appreciated.

In looking over the model, I noticed a couple of spots that needed attention. I mixed a thin batch of Dark Green once more and adjusted the demarcation lines in two spots. At the nose, the green previously intersected the spinner on the top of the cowl but most pics and profiles of Spitfires have it wrapping around the vertical surface and intersecting the spinner much lower so I sprayed some more green there (see circle below).

View attachment 717450

On the starboard root fairing, I had a small notch in the demarcation line that I didn't like so I straightened the line:

View attachment 717451

With that done, I found a set of resin 4-spoke Ultracast wheels to use and glued those to my Eduard struts that I had installed the other day. The struts feature the correct length, rake angle, and also the canted axles so I made sure the wheels sloped like they should. The wheels were painted and weathered beforeheand and I added tiny decals to represent the slip indicator tape.

View attachment 717448

View attachment 717454

I also found some spare Eduard covers which correctly depict the curved surface rather than the flat ones included in the kit. I discovered these after I had already painted the kit ones but will use the Eduard ones anyway.

View attachment 717449

Then it was on to adding some panel wash. I started on the underside and kept it on the cleaner side (for me), since this aircraft arrived on 416 Squadron very late in the war.

View attachment 717453

A similar approach was used on the uppers, though I kept it very restrained:

View attachment 717452

The wash is a mixture of water, dish soap, and powdered black and brown artist pastels. I find this stuff to be much cheaper and more forgiving than commercial washes. In particular, the Tamiya panel line washes are very agressive and react with the gloss coats I use so they don't wipe away easily, leaving unwanted marks in the finish.

Next will be the application of a matte coat and the addition of some final weathering and fiddly bits. Thanks again for looking in and for the kind words.
My style of weathering...subtle but there. And an 'so-that's-what-those-are' coments/questions; the slip tape decals on the tires/wheels. Were those there (on the actual craft) to indicate if the tires were slipping on the wheel?

Thanks again all.

My style of weathering...subtle but there. And an 'so-that's-what-those-are' coments/questions; the slip tape decals on the tires/wheels. Were those there (on the actual craft) to indicate if the tires were slipping on the wheel?
Yes indeedy. Sometimes white, sometimes red, sometimes yellow. Sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes even four.

Y2K-1080x675.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back