**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Spitfire MK.XVIe Low-back - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK, I gave the brush a good cleaning and launched into the XF-81 RAF Dark Green. Since Ralph Haus Ralph Haus was curious, I'll spend a bit more time showing my steps to build up the colour. As described above, the thinner to paint ratio is about 70/30 and the pressure is about 12psi in my H&S Ultra. I start with the demarcation lines using a quick pass to define the desired line and try not to stay on one spot for too long (though I fail at this a lot):

23041805.jpg

Once I'm happy with the line shape and placement I start filling in the colour. To maintain a tight spray pattern when laying out the demarcation line and filling in the colours close to the edge, it's very important to hold the brush very close to the work and to spray INTO the field of colour that is being applied at a very shallow angle. If you spray directly from above, at a high angle, or away from the field, you will get a very wide spray pattern. The pics below show the right and wrong positioning of the nozzle to spray the green field to the left side of the photos. And yes, that's how close I get when making the edge. The masking tape is to define the edge between the upper and lower camouflage fields. I'm actually not sure if this was a masked edge on the real aircraft or not.

23041802.jpg
23041803.jpg

After the edge is well defined, it's just a matter of continuing to fill in the colour. I can now allow the brush to get a bit further away from the work and at a higher angle. I like spraying in a circular motion to vary the thickness of paint applied in any one area. This gives a good basis for a worn paint finish, which I typically like. In the below pic, I spent a little too much time on the edge and allowed the paint to build up a bit too much. The close-up magnifies the effect and it should look fine once a clear coat is applied.

23041804.jpg

And after about 45 minutes, this is how far I got:

23041801.jpg

I will continue the green tomorrow and will show more then. Thanks again for your interest and comments.

OK, I gave the brush a good cleaning and launched into the XF-81 RAF Dark Green. Since Ralph Haus Ralph Haus was curious, I'll spend a bit more time showing my steps to build up the colour. As described above, the thinner to paint ratio is about 70/30 and the pressure is about 12psi in my H&S Ultra. I start with the demarcation lines using a quick pass to define the desired line and try not to stay on one spot for too long (though I fail at this a lot):

View attachment 716429

Once I'm happy with the line shape and placement I start filling in the colour. To maintain a tight spray pattern when laying out the demarcation line and filling in the colours close to the edge, it's very important to hold the brush very close to the work and to spray INTO the field of colour that is being applied at a very shallow angle. If you spray directly from above, at a high angle, or away from the field, you will get a very wide spray pattern. The pics below show the right and wrong positioning of the nozzle to spray the green field to the left side of the photos. And yes, that's how close I get when making the edge. The masking tape is to define the edge between the upper and lower camouflage fields. I'm actually not sure if this was a masked edge on the real aircraft or not.

View attachment 716426View attachment 716427

After the edge is well defined, it's just a matter of continuing to fill in the colour. I can now allow the brush to get a bit further away from the work and at a higher angle. I like spraying in a circular motion to vary the thickness of paint applied in any one area. This gives a good basis for a worn paint finish, which I typically like. In the below pic, I spent a little too much time on the edge and allowed the paint to build up a bit too much. The close-up magnifies the effect and it should look fine once a clear coat is applied.

View attachment 716428

And after about 45 minutes, this is how far I got:

View attachment 716425

I will continue the green tomorrow and will show more then. Thanks again for your interest and comments.

Thank you for doing this. I'm sure more than myself will benefit from this tutorial. One obvious point stood out; the 45 minutes to complete the green areas shown. That's most likely some of my problem? I'm not sure if I've spent 45 minutes spraying an entire camo scheme, and that would include the primer! Must do a lot of tip/needle wiping? Gotta slow down and smell the thinner if you will!

Thanks for that Andy, some good tips and like Ralph, 45 minutes WOW I'm obviously short timing my sprays. :D

Well, I did stop to take pictures........:lol:.A half hour of actual painting is probably a bit more true to facts.

Fine tuning the demarcation lines takes time and then keep in mind that we are throwing very little paint down. Actually I found no need to wipe the tip at all in this session but by the end there were some bubbles starting to form in the cup.

One of my major problems is the paint drying in the nozzle from the warm air, have to keep stopping and cleaning and be careful how much paint you put in the cup, otherwise its a waste of paint. :D

Continued the green to finish it off today.

23041902.jpg

The demarcation line at the engine cowl. Many Spitfires had this below the cowl panel.

23041903.jpg

I see a bit of touch-up needed now that I'm viewing the close-up for the first time. Next, I masked the walk lines for painting and got the prop ready as well, since I'm putting black in the cup.

23041904.jpg

Paint on:

23041905.jpg

And masks off:

23041906.jpg
23041901.jpg

That's all for today. Back to the Bruins-Panthers game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back