**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Nakajima Ki-84 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Scheme decided - it will be #85 depicted in the below profile linked from this thread :

u09_zpsozex2uuv-png.png

The tail markings will need to be masked and painted so I'll need to do a bit of graphics work to cut those. I also need to come up with colour mixes. The profile shows the later #7 Ohryoku Nana Olive Brown over what I guess is #1 Hairyokushoku Grey Green. This site suggests XF-58 for the former and XF-12 for the latter so I will try a couple of shots of those to see how they look. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks guys. All I've done was get a base of white on the tail so not worth showing. Trying to figure out my paint sequence as I want to use the hairspray chipping technique and it's messing with my head. Should get something going today.

Experimentation with XF-49 and XF-51 in a 1:1 ratio sprayed on the little car that came with the kit. It's what Tamiya calls up for the car and coincidentally was also the two colours that struck me as being good candidates for mixing to achieve the Olive Drab on the aircraft. The yellow is straight XF-3 painted OVER the green to see how it covers and it does that just fine. I would normally apply the yellow first then mask it and paint the green but my concern is that, if I chip the green to the silver, there would be some yellow showing underneath and I don't want that. So I think I will proceed with the green first then paint the yellow ID bands and no-step demarcations over the green.

23110201.jpg

Thanks Vic. As for the bottom colour, I took a WTF approach and applied 4 different colours. The so-called Hairyokushoku has been variously described as Grey-Green, similar to RAF Sky Type S, more bluish than the Navy version, and grey changing toward dark brown. WTF indeed.....

I mixed XF-23 Light Blue and XF-55 Deck Tan in equal parts to spray an initial base coat. Then to give it more depth, I thinned what little was left over in the cup and added a bit more XF-55 to spray onto the fabric control surfaces. The same mix was applied in post-shading patches all over the underside. I then added some XF-20 Medium Grey to that thinned mix and sprayed patches again, finishing it all by adding some XF-57 Buff to the mess, I mean mix, and dusting it all over the bottom to give it a brownish tinge. Is it accurate? Who the F! knows?!

23110202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back