**** DONE: GB-59 1/48 Nakajima Ki-84 - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated. Dabbed some Tamiya primer in a few gaps and along some seam lines to begin the smoothing process. My fave....

Continuing to dabble on the seam lines so not much to show. Good thing this GB goes to Dec 3.....

So, wheel wells. Same colour as the cockpit - i.e. the dark green? Gear door inners as well?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Wayne Little Wayne Little , I appreciate that thank-you. I just spent the last two days going thru Nick Millman's site and my head is spinning. Olive drab/brown or green uppers, grey-green or natural metal lowers....argh. Looking at possibly doing a different subject now given the uncertainty of the colour scheme and the s/n "762" depicted in the profile. A photo of another "762" exists per the profile posted by Shinpachi on page 2 and that aircraft looks nothing like the chosen subject so the number is questionable too.

Looking for a well worn scheme so checking on a couple of alternates. The below pic is from Millman's site and shows "Ki-84 of Hiko Dai 101 Sentai as flown by S/Sgt Nobuo Saito depicted in olive drab over grey-green with tail number '82'".

NSaito.jpg

The scheme is included on a decal sheet from Rising Decals and shows the number 82 and circle on the tail in yellow. The latter bisects a red arrow. The camo is purported by RD to be the late war factory applied Olive Drab (Gunze 304) uppers and Grey-Green (Gunze 128) lowers. I wonder though, given the extent of the wear, if the scheme was rather a field applied dark green over NMF that would also make the undersides NMF.

The other scheme is this one (Photos from Model Art Ki-84 publication) showing a 101st Sentai 2 Chutai Hayate at Mayakonojo field in Summer 1945:

White 85 from Model Art 24.png

Available profiles and decal sheets disagree on the colour of the arrow on the tail. Some have it as white and others as yellow. In all cases the 85 is shown in white and my interpretation of the rather poor photos above make me believe the arrow is white. Same questions are in my mind on upper and lower colours applied to this bird.

Yet another scheme is this one (Photo from Aerodetail #24) showing an aircraft of the 3rd Chutai of the 72nd Sentai:
Yellow 81 from Aerodetail 24.png

This one is not as worn and could be the late war factory Olive Drab uppers and Grey-Green lowers. Tail band, number, spinner, and nose cowl are all yellow though I'm not sure if the thin fuselage band behind the soldier is white or yellow.

Decisions, decisions.....

Small adds:

The fuel cooler intake and exit were drilled out before adding to the wing underside:

23102701.jpg

A landing light was punched from plastic card, glued in place and painted silver. The lens was dipped in Future this morning as it will be CA-glued in place.

23102703.jpg

The model as it looks now, with seams painted and sanded back. I did add the armour plate behind the pilot seat as well.

23102702.jpg

Thanks guys. No, no decision on a scheme yet but I got things closer to the point where I'll need to make a choice. First, the gun sight, which is supposed to just be glued to the edge of the sill, promptly dropped down inside the cockpit with a dab of CA on it and by the time I tried to fish it out, it went AWOL somewhere inside the fuselage. No matter how much shaking, rattling, and rolling I did, it was not coming out so I had to make one from scratch. A simple box with a clear plastic reflector did the trick.

23103002.jpg

Next I masked the clear parts, glued them on, primed the model and gave it a coat of Alclad Semi-gloss Aluminum but not before noticing that the landing light bowl came loose and disappeared into the wing hollow. I wasn't going to tear the CA-glued lens off to make another so I let it be.

23103001.jpg

After the prime coat, I found both the gun sight and light bowl on my bench so they both managed to find a way out. I'll keep an eye out for your carpet monster parts as it seems I have a worm hole to my bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back