**** DONE: GB-61 1/72 Vought F4U-1D CORSAIR - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya (kit 60752)
Model: Vought F4U-1D
Scale: 1/72

Finally jumping in. Many distractions have kept me away from the bench. Back to tiny parts again since this is the only kit I had in the stash that worked for this GB. Yeah! ANOTHER CORSAIR. Leaning to do the Bunker Hill, who can pas up a 'this end up' arrow. and a yellow nose??

The kit looks to be typical Tamiya quality and as such should go together without to many issues, and quickly. I'll spare all images of the sprues, most likely everyone has seen or built this kit?

F4U-1D Corsair Box Art.jpg
1710020766122.png

I have started the interior detailing. The cockpit went well.

F4U-1D Cockpit P.jpg

F4U-1D Cockpit S.jpg

And some detailing of the insides. Decided, since it is so small, to just do brush painting.

F4U-1D Interior start.jpg

And as always a question? I have looked at some builds and have not been able to determine just what color goes in the area under the front cockpit glass. Interior, exterior color??

Color Question.jpg

Attachments

• VF-84.jpg
    VF-84.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It looks like the cap above the indicator panel was black while the top edges of the cockpit sides were on NMF. It seems that was caused by the paint scraping mostly because there were the slide rails for the cockpit hood.

corasir.jpg

corsair2.jpg

It looks like the cap above the indicator panel was black while the top edges of the cockpit sides were on NMF. It seems that was caused by the paint scraping mostly because there were the slide rails for the cockpit hood.

View attachment 768059
View attachment 768060
Many thanks for the look up. If weathering heavily then the 'scraped off' paint would be the most realistic look. I suppose it was painted the same as exterior? In the second photo, to my eye, looks like it has a 'greenish' tint under the windshield?

Last edited:
I suppose it was painted the same as exterior? In the second photo, to my eye, looks like it has a 'greenish' tint under the windshield?

No it was of the black or grey. Just the second pic has the incorrect colour balance and it is rather of a poor quality. Also the glass oft he windshield may cause the greenish appearance.

The two example of shots with different colour balance. Although the different tones the part under the winshield looks greyish. IMHO it is because of the matt paint that slightly faded because of the sun and the glass thickness there.

daszek.jpg

daszeka.jpg

daszek2a.jpg

daszek2.jpg

and the cockpit top edge
edge.jpg

Anyway ... in the two B&W images it can be noticed that the hood above the pilot panel was of the black with quite a lot of the dust there.
windshiel1.jpg

windshiel2.jpg

the source: the net.

However it seems that the later variants could have it of the Dark Blue colour as the rest of the airframe outside. But the dust there can be noticed as well. Addtitianlly the appearance of the top edge of the cockpit side from the side view can be noticed too.
corsair cockpit.jpg

the source: https://cdn2.picryl.com/photo/2021/...ckpit-of-a-vought-f4u-corsair-93d356-1024.jpg

Looking at Bill's F4U-1A build I'm back with another color question. Bill's is a 1/48 scale so that my be the difference, that and being a 1A? The wheel bays are called, on both, my 1D and Bill's 1A as being the 'cockpit green' (Tamiya XF-3:XF-5 mix). But the wheel cover insides are not called out the same? My 1/72 1D has the plate's inside the same as the out, the blue? Same for the rear wheel covers. SO, is the difference in colors due to the model, 1A vs 1D? Or just a Tamiya 1/48 instruction thing?

The 1A kit The 1D kit

color diff 1.jpg
color diff 2.jpg

Also, it appears that the 'dashboard' color may be answered with the 1A instruction? Black it is; or at least according to the 1/48 Tamiya?

Color solved.jpg

The colour of the wheel bay doors depends on the camouflage type. The blue ones ( Tamiya AS-8 ) can be found on Corsairs painted the US Navy Blue overall. Those F4U being of the early two-tone camo and the three-tone uniform had the colours different from the single-tone ones.

Generally it may be stated that the inner surfaces of the wheel bay doors were painted with the same colour as the undersides of the fuselage. So if it was the grey colour these were of the grey inside. If the colour was the white then the white or a light grey. And if the Sea Blue the same on the inner surfaces.

Color on. Used Vallejo Gloss Sea Blue (71.300). First time I also added the Vallejo Thinner and Flow Improver. Very pleased with outcome. Glossy enough that I can apply decals and not have to do a 'gloss' coat first. Other bits painted as well, so it shouldn't be long before this bird has legs and its ID.

F4U-1D Corsair First coat w.jpg

Looks great Ralph. Is the blue from a set? Internet sucks here an it takes forever for a page to load up
No. I ordered (actually mistakenly twice) from Scalehobby, on line. Best prices that I've found on Vallejo (or any) paint. Better yet, I don't have to pay state sales tax and their shipping is reasonable.

Interner4? Can't be worse than.my 2-3 Mps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back