****DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX - Spitfires (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks nice, better than my effort so far. I suppose even in theory something has to "give" on the cowling, if the model is only 1mm thick that represents circa 2" of metal on the real thing. To me you have to make a choice engine in and cowlings off or no engine and top cowling on, staying with the complete fuselage/ cowlings at the sides.
Tough lessons. Don't do as I did and that was to trash all that engine work in pure frustration. Build a simple rack and display it along side the model.

Tough lessons. Don't do as I did and that was to trash all that engine work in pure frustration. Build a simple rack and display it along side the model.
Years ago I did the same with a 1:32 scale Spitfire, I just didnt have the experience knowledge or anything else, ended up with a load of bits all out of shape covered in paint and glue. That's why I thought these two kits would be ideal, to see if I can learn enough to justify things like an airbrush etc. I did one closed up, so the other has two engines which is lucky because I broke some bits and lost one to the carpet. One engine will go in the Spitfire, the other will be as you say on a rack next to a Mustang P-51A in an imaginary "hey guys, will this fit in that" scenario. :D

Years ago I did the same with a 1:32 scale Spitfire, I just didnt have the experience knowledge or anything else, ended up with a load of bits all out of shape covered in paint and glue. That's why I thought these two kits would be ideal, to see if I can learn enough to justify things like an airbrush etc. I did one closed up, so the other has two engines which is lucky because I broke some bits and lost one to the carpet. One engine will go in the Spitfire, the other will be as you say on a rack next to a Mustang P-51A in an imaginary "hey guys, will this fit in that" scenario. :D
You airbrushing now? If not, make the leap. Opened up a world of detailing and finishing options for me. You really don't need one of those $150-200+++ guns. Plenty in the sub $100 range if you watch for sales, on spraygunner for instance. If you stick with acrylics then cleanups are not bad at all.

You airbrushing now? If not, make the leap. Opened up a world of detailing and finishing options for me. You really don't need one of those $150-200+++ guns. Plenty in the sub $100 range if you watch for sales, on spraygunner for instance. If you stick with acrylics then cleanups are not bad at all.
I will see how I go, I have two more Spits for the GB (1 started) Then 2 Mustangs and I will get a Hurricane for the next GB, then decide what's what. I am working on stuff like filling and fitting which as I understand it needs to be right coz if it isnt an airbrush shows it all up. I am trying to avoid swamping myself with stuff to learn.

Not saying to use these due to their finickiness but Vallejo makes these. Choose one that is close to your top coat to cover the filler

1721157310882.jpeg

I think the blue is close to RAF Azure Blue

1721157429079.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back