**** DONE: P-51D "Millie G" Lt. Col. E. B. Giller 343rd FS - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Started the painting today. I decided to paint the white ID bands on the tail rather than use the decals. The proper width will be taped off and OD sprayed. I also painted the rudder yellow after a base coat of white. Model Master RLM 04 Gelb seemed a real good match to the yellow in the decals so that's what I used.

PA255700.JPG

Last edited:
I was able to do quite a bit today. This paint scheme is turning out to be quite complicated. First I mixed up some green paint to match the shade of green used in the decals. Cromite Green (Interior Green) with a touch of black was a good match as can be seen in a comparison to the decals in the first picture after I had masked and sprayed the yellow.
The second picture shows all the prop parts painted and ready for decaling.

Next I went on to more painting on the fuselage. In picture 3 I've sprayed the same green on the nose where the yellow checker decals will go. I've also sprayed the wings where the black ID bands will go.

In picture 4 all the masking for the OD paint is done, and picture 5 shows the OD on, and masks removed.

Next to do will be more masking and the first cote of silver.

PA305705.JPG
PA305712.JPG
PA305713.JPG
PA305714.JPG
PA305709.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Last night I masked and painted the first shade of silver. Getting the curve and position of the mask along the forward sides of the fuselage was a pain. It has to match a thin curved red strip decal. I traced the decal onto tracing paper, cut it out and transferred it to Tamaya tape, cut that out and then struggle to get it on the plane so both ends and a point in the middle lit the right points. The first picture was taken after over an hour struggling with this.

The second picture is after the Floquil Old Silver was sprayed. After a couple of days to cure Ill mask over it to spray the next shade of silver.

PB015718.JPG
PB015716.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job Glenn
I like the spinner, it came out really well.
I struggled with mine on the Mustang I did.
I know what you mean trying to match paint work to the decals, mine was nowhere near as complicated as this
Can't wait till she's done
cheers Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back