**** DONE: P-47M Thunderbolt - Lt. Russ Kyler - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy70

Senior Airman
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Username: Andy70
First name: Andy
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Republic P-47M
Aftermarket addons: None
Decals: OOB

Joining up on my first group build. I asked if the pilot and plane represented by one of the choices on the kit decals were considered ace for this group build, and got the ok since his ground kills were in '44 and '45. I like the paint scheme on the airplane as well.

Here is some background on the pilot:

Russ scored his first victory on September 21st, 1944, shortly after arriving for combat duty with the Wolfpack in the 61st Fighter Squadron Bulldogs. Russ was flying on the wing of Maj Mike Gladych, a Polish national and fighter pilot who had received special permission to fly with the Army Air Corps. Russ credited his initial combat success to Maj Gladych's expert tutelage, but quickly learned the ropes on his own and became a standout fighter pilot in short time. In a time in late 1944 and early 1945 when air victories were becoming a rarity, Russ capitalized on being in the right place at the right time, scoring victories on Fockewulf 190s and a Messerschmidt 109, in addition to a rare probable kill on a Messerschmidt 262, the first combat jet aircraft in history.

On April 13th, 1945, Russ participated in the historic attack on Eggebeck airdrome in which the three squadrons of the Wolfpack destroyed 95 enemy aircraft on the ground in one day. Russ contributed five victories, destroying four Junker 88s and one Messerschmidt 210, raising his total victories to ten. This was a banner day for Russ and for the Wolfpack, which set the record for most enemy aircraft destroyed in one day. It marked the second anniversary of the Wolfpack in combat in the European Theater of Operations. The Wolfpack dedicated their victories in memory of President Roosevelt who had passed away the day before.

Box Art:
IMG_2475.jpg

Here is the version I plan to do:
IMG_2476.jpg

Thanks, guys. Any and all references are greatly appreciated! I found a video of an interview with Russ while doing research as well. It is interesting to say the least. I enjoyed his story about having two cylinders destroyed with 20mm cannon fire in Germany and flying all the way back to base in England without even knowing they were gone. He said all he noticed was that his oil pressure was low! He said no one would believe that he was hit in Germany and made it all the way to base until his flight leader corroborated his story the next day when he arrived on a C-47 after having to land his P-47 at an alternate airstrip.

I have a colleague who is currently researching and writing a book on the 56th FG. He also runs a P-47 SIG on another site and the 56th FG website here.

56th Fighter Group in World War II

He is in regular contact with Russ Kyler and usually looks after him and his wife when they visit the U.K. He has built HV-J which Russ signed for him. I know he had decals of the nose art made based on the original photograph of Lorene Kyler which Russ provided for him.
PM me if you need any info,I'm sure as a fellow modeller he'd be glad to help.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Wow, thanks, Steve! As I get into the build, I will definitely keep that in mind when questions arise!

The decal sheet has two choices for the nose art - one with her in a blue dress, and one in a yellow. According to the pics I've seen, the yellow might be correct, but I'd love to get a definitive word from your friend!

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy I gave Nigel Julian a ring. He says go with the yellow/brown nose art as it is the closest.The blue one is total fantasy.
Here is a link to his build which is featured in the SIG that he runs.

P47 Heaven :: Scale modeling articles, tips, and tricks

He is at home at the moment and will answer any questions on his site but if you need a quick answer,or he hasn't answered, feel free to ask here as I can always contact him.

Following our chat this afternoon I can reveal a little teaser. Stand by for some interesting revelations about Gladych's various "Pengie".

Cheers
Steve

Got a start today. Waiting on correct color for cockpit, so I started on the engine. I read in a couple of places to use the octagonal distributors instead of the turtleback magnetos for the -M. I also am experimenting with doing a little wiring on the engine. I realize that the ignition ring is not present on the kit engine, but I just want to get some wires on there for a little more realism inside the cowl. I have looked at several references, and the ignition wires have ranged from red in color to a dull yellow to black. Is this just speculation/artistic license on the part of modelers, or was there variance? I started with a dull yellow so they would be somewhat visible. Is there anyone who has a definitive word on this?

Img_2498.jpg

Img_2497.jpg

Thanks!
Andy

The Ms were fitted with the P+W2800-57 engine and you are right about the magnetos. Part #C15 in the Tamiya M kit.
As for the ignition harness,a braided outer covering. Here's a piccy from Nige's walkaround which he won't mind me posting here in the interests of an accurate model!

Ignition_Harness_Close_Up.gif

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back