Lockheed P-38J Lightning Lt. Colonel Charles H. Macdonald - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. I had planned on doing the cockpit pretty much stock as it came. After getting the interior green on, I pulled out my Detail Scale for the P-38L and started checking photos. Now, Academy does a nice job but it is an older kit. All the basic shapes are there but not much fine detail. I thought, " Hey, big canopy, I should add some things. Maybe beef up that throttle quadrant a bit. Make it look more like the picture."

100_1016_640x480.JPG

It was then that some strange fit overthrew me and I resolved to pretty much scratch the entire cockpit interior. Oh, I said to myself, this will be easy. I must have been overtired. To late to turn back now. Here I have started hacking and wacking. The coppery looking thing is a piece of strand wire that has been wound around a pin and coated in Testors clear parts cement to create a skin. After drying it will be painted and become the oxygen hose. The quadrant has been sanded flat, filled in and details are being fabricated.

100_1015_640x480.JPG

More madness to follow.

I am diagnosing myself as having Wayneitis. A particularly virulent strain as I lack Waynes skill to cure it. Push the boundries, it's the only way to grow.

O.K. Here's a quick update. This is the new radio shelf behind the pilots seat. I carved off all the old detail ( what there was ), skinned it in plasticard, added a representation of the aluminum mounting rails and made new boxes with wires. Not perfect but good enough.

100_1018_640x480.JPG

Back from my vacation I run into this P-38 build. I'm very interested to see how this turns out as I have an Academy P-38 sitting in the stash as well. I've seen people doing great things with it, but it seems to me it sure has it's point that need special care to get it right. (nose section and beams in particular)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back