Lockheed P-38J Lightning Lt. Colonel Charles H. Macdonald - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucejscott

Staff Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Williamsport, Pa
Username - brucejscott
First Name - Bruce
Category - Intermediate
Scale - 1/48th
Manufacturer - Academy
Model Type - Lockheed P-38L Lightning
Aftermarket Parts - None
Decals - Kit

This is going to be the model of (then) Lt. Colonel Charles Henry "Mac" MacDonald's P-38L Lightning " Putt Putt Maru" as it appeared when he was Group Commander of the 475th Fighter Group in the Pacific, based at Dobodura New Guinea. He's something of a local boy as he is from Dubois, Pennsylvania less than 2 hours drive from my house.

Here's the man himself with his mount...

macdonald-rev_640x480.jpg

... and here is the machine.

100_1011_640x480.JPG

And here is one buttload of plastic to put together.

100_1012_640x480.JPG

There are going to have to be some modifications made to this kit as it represents something of a hybrid between the P-38 J L.

1) Delete the blisters for the four booster fuel pumps under the wings ( only present on the L)

2)Add a landing light to the port underside wing

3)Fill in the aileron trim tabs

4)May have to remove the compressibility flaps. I'm not sure about this as they were added during the P-38J production run but I'm not sure when in relation to this machine. If anybody has any clues, or better yet answers, I would appreciate the help. The machines serial number was #44-53095.

Last edited:
I did manage to find this period image. There is a shadow under the wing that is in the right place for a flap. I blew the image up 400% and though grainy, it does look like it is there. The interesting thing about the picture is that it appears to show a landing/taxi light on the port wing leading edge. Some more research is clearly in order.

mcguire3_640x480.jpg

Hi Bruce

Another great aircraft and aces lined up I see.

Charles MacDonald's ship was either a P-38L-5 #44-25643 or #44-25471 and was not #44-53095. The latter number is a restored aircraft currently flying.

Here's a couple of profiles from Osprey's Elite on the 475th FG, and another pic.

Being an "L" model it would have the dive flaps, wing tanks, flat screen etc of the later models.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• putt_putt_maru.jpg
    putt_putt_maru.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 517
  • putt_putt_maru 2.jpg
    putt_putt_maru 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,135
  • putt_putt_maru 3.jpg
    putt_putt_maru 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Very cool selection, love those lightnings.

Thanks Karl. Well you can pretty well skip all the changes I was planning on making. About the only real changes now are adding the gun camera to the port underwing pylon and a couple of extra antennae.

Good choice and some good info from Karl there. It's a nice kit Bruce, and goes together well. Far as I remember, the only areas which need some care are the alignment of the tail booms (not too difficult), and the positioning of the turbo intakes on the booms. (That's the circular, 'tear drop' scoops). The locating points for these are a little vague. The nose gear leg also needs checking as you fit it, to achieve the correct 'stance', but nothing major.

Good stuff Karl! Thanks! Got the first primer coat of interior green on tonight. I'll let it dry overnight and start some detail painting tomorrow. The first set of pictures should be up then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back