**** DONE: 1/48 P-40E 'Tex Hill' Aircraft of the aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good. It's normally Wojtek who moves the threads, and he works long hours in Air Traffic. He'll get around to it as soon as he can I'm sure.

Today's update;

Joined the fuselage and test fitted the cockpit to ensure lil tex fits correctly. Because of the shape of the front of the P-40 this has to be done carefully as at first the sides don't mate up correctly. A little flexing and its fine.
day13.jpg

Lil tex is happy in his new home, not the most detailed interior I ever did, but looks ok.
day1.jpg

day12.jpg

day11.jpg

There are holes near the ammo ejector ports for frag bomb racks, these are filled with squadron green putty (which I need to buy more of since mine is dried out).
day14.jpg

day15.jpg

Finally the wings are joined and set aside to dry.
day16.jpg

Motoring right along Chris. Looking good. So just to address the elephant in the room, seeing as how you'll be done reasonably soon, this is going in Category 3 correct?

Today's update;

The nose panels with exhauts are added.
The wings are joined to the fuselage, and won't line up properly unless you have the correct angle for the wing, called dihedral.
day2.jpg

A little touchup is needed on the wheel well area, no big deal.
day21.jpg

Even when done there is quite a gap, and this is first puttied over and then sanded to make a nice clean joint.
day22.jpg

day25.jpg

day24.jpg

day23.jpg

Tried a new experiment with this build.

I often see people preshade when using an airbrush and wondered if I could get that effect with a brush. I felt black paint might be too harsh so I used a permenent marker to make preshade marks underneath to try my idea:
experiment.jpg

Next I watered down the acrylic lt gray a little on my brush (this is all by feel) and began to apply it over the preshade, and it came up with this, I think decent results:
experiment1.jpg

I need to refine this technique a bit but it shows promise for the brush user.

Satisfied with the feect below, i tried it on the upper wings but the OD is too dark for an imprint.
day3.jpg

day31.jpg

day32.jpg

I am very concerned that using tamiya Acrylics will caue a problem with testor's gloss cote, they chemically react in unpredictable ways, so I decided to seal the plane with vallejo matt varnish and give it a very careful black wash. This took all day but had good results.
day33.jpg

day34.jpg

day35.jpg

day36.jpg

I have now spayed it with Gloss cote, and am hoping it dries without problems, fingers crossed.

Happily there were only minor issues with the cote and the decals have been applied and sealed.

decals.jpg

decals1.jpg

These decals were extremly thin and they should be hit with some gloss cote as they will sliver and disolve otherwise.

In the home strech now, landing gear, bomb, canopy and a few bits and this guy will be finished.

Looking good, and the pre-shading came out well. When brush-painting, you can also post shade of course, using a variation of the base colour.
If the Testor's gloss clear is enamel based, that will account for the reaction with acrylic paints.
Looking forward to the finished model !

Today's update;

Vallejo flat finish applied, canopy painted and attached, bomb and landing gear installed.
day4.jpg

day41.jpg

day43.jpg

day42.jpg

just a few small details, paint touchups and some weathering and this guy is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back